cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509E with 2 sup 2T cards

jg
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new 6509E with 2 sup 2T cards. The 10GE ports on both sup cards will connect to 2 5548s. Can i connect the management interface on the new 6509E to the old 6509 until i free up space to bring the line cards over?

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Management interface is to do Out-of-Bound-Management (OoBM) and not designed to pass traffic.

Andrew Cink
Level 1
Level 1

When putting a device like this on the network for initial configuration, I usually grab a pair of SFPs and a piece of fiber and connect them that way. Put a /30 IP address on each side of the interface, add routing if necessary so you can SSH over to the device.

I wish they put a usable copper interface on the sup module, but not really. The easiest thing to do is grab a pair of SFPs and use the included SFP ports. Otherwise you'll have to free up a 10GBE interface just to put it on the network and upgrade/etc...

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card