cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6513 boot issue after power down/up

CSCO10576352
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I currently have an issue with one of our 6513's. When the switch is physically powered off and back on it fails to boot and sits in rommon. Not only that but it also loses the startup-config file from nvram and the pre-set boot parameters both for the route processor and switch processor (hence failing at rommon after power is restored).

This is one of several 6513's we mange and has an identical configuration in terms of hardware versions, modules installed, etc, but this is the only switch refusing to boot after power has been turned off/on.

It’s also worth mentioning that the switch reloads successfully during a soft reload (i.e. power not cut but reloaded from the console).

The switch has the boot parameters set for both the route processor and the switch processor as below which is exactly the same as our other 6513’s (note: currently running modular IOS):

6513#show boot
BOOT variable = sup-bootdisk:/sys/s72033/base/s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-vm,12;
CONFIG_FILE variable =
BOOTLDR variable =
Configuration register is 0x2102

6513#remote command switch show boot

BOOT variable = bootdisk:/sys/s72033/base/s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-vm,12;
CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist
BOOTLDR variable does not exist
Configuration register is 0x2102

I suspect maybe a hardware issue with the NVRAM especially as the startup-config gets lost every time the switch is powered off but cannot seem to find any evidence of this being the case (i.e. no corrupted NVRAM messages on boot up or in the show version output). Is there a way to test the validly of the NVRAM on a 6513? I looked through the test command options and googled it but cannot seem to find a way to prove the NVRAM is good/bad (‘test memory’ doesn’t appear to be an available command at least on the version of code I’m running).

Is there anything else that may be causing this that I have overlooked?

My current plan will be to power the switch off and have the supervisor module re-seated to see if this resolves the issue, failing that I’m probably looking at a hardware swap of the supervisor module (least preferred option!).

Unfortunately I do not yet have a console log of the actual boot up of the switch after power up under failure as it’s a remotely managed device but I also realise this may well be flagging something I’m missing...

Thanks for taking the time to read through

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
BOOT variable = sup-bootdisk:/sys/s72033/base/s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-vm,12;

That's not the correct filename syntax. 

Hi leolaohoo, thanks for the reply, please note the filename path looks a little weird as we are running modular ios on the 6513 which installs the image in that location as part of the install process.

I also appreciate that the boot string could also be denoted using sup-bootflash:

Can you please post the complete bootup sequence then?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card