7200 / 7204 vxr LACP Problem

robvelc2014
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there guys,

I read this very old thread

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/10937421/7204-vxr-lacp-problem

And i have same isue... we have two ciscos:

Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software (C7200P-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(4)XD10, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2007 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Fri 28-Dec-07 14:12 by karnagar

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(12.2r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
BOOTLDR: Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software (C7200P-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(24)T7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

and

Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software (C7200P-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(4)XD10, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2007 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Fri 28-Dec-07 14:12 by karnagar

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(12.2r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
BOOTLDR: Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software (C7200-KBOOT-M), Version 12.4(4)XD, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Both of this IOSes seems doesn't support LACP.

Can anyone help with this ? maybe we need update our IOS ? Or we have no way use LACP on this devices yet ? Maybe we can use any alternative way for aggregate two physical gigabit links into one logic 2Gb/s link ???

Thank you so much.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

lenperez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello friend,

I apologize for this, but LACP is not supported on the 7200 platform, only manual/static GEC (Gigabit EtherChannel) configuration is allowed here.

Besides, your IOS version is too old and is not orderable and configurable since December 28, 2007. Please review the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/7200-series-routers/prod_bulletin0900aecd80471897.html

I hope this help!!!!

Best Regards :D

View solution in original post

Hello friend,

Gigabit EtherChannel

Gigabit EtherChannel (GEC) allows gigabit per second transmission rates and provides flexible, scalable bandwidth with resiliency and load sharing across links for switches, router interfaces, and servers. GEC combines multiple physical Gigabit Ethernet links into one channel, which manages load sharing of traffic among the links in the channel as well as redundancy if one or more links in the channel should fail; Unicast, broadcast, and multicast traffic is distributed across the links, providing higher performance and redundant parallel paths. If a link fails, traffic is redirected to remaining links within the EtherChannel without user intervention.

Based on the functionality, the GEC is the same as the Fast EtherChannel (FEC) except for the following:

•The interfaces added to the channel are Gigabit Ethernet interfaces.

•Because the onboard Gigabit Ethernet supports jumbo frames, there is a difference in the range of the MTU supported.

On the Cisco 7200, native (onboard) Gigabit Ethernet supports jumbo frames. The maximum transmission unit (MTU) supported on native Gigabit Ethernet ports is 9216. By default, the EtherChannel takes an MTU size in the range of 1500 to 10240 bytes. Once the first interface is added to the channel and an MTU is configured on it, the MTU range of the EtherChannel changes from its default value to the range supported by the first interface added to the channel

Regards :D

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

lenperez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello friend,

I apologize for this, but LACP is not supported on the 7200 platform, only manual/static GEC (Gigabit EtherChannel) configuration is allowed here.

Besides, your IOS version is too old and is not orderable and configurable since December 28, 2007. Please review the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/7200-series-routers/prod_bulletin0900aecd80471897.html

I hope this help!!!!

Best Regards :D

Hello lenperez,

Thank you for your reply. Yeah, IOS is very old, but this device works perfect with this ios (exclude LACP needs :))

Can you please let me know, can GEC swap LACP ? If i need aggregate 2 x 1 GB/s links into one 2 GB/s logic link ? Or GEC its for redundancy?

Regards,

Hello friend,

Gigabit EtherChannel

Gigabit EtherChannel (GEC) allows gigabit per second transmission rates and provides flexible, scalable bandwidth with resiliency and load sharing across links for switches, router interfaces, and servers. GEC combines multiple physical Gigabit Ethernet links into one channel, which manages load sharing of traffic among the links in the channel as well as redundancy if one or more links in the channel should fail; Unicast, broadcast, and multicast traffic is distributed across the links, providing higher performance and redundant parallel paths. If a link fails, traffic is redirected to remaining links within the EtherChannel without user intervention.

Based on the functionality, the GEC is the same as the Fast EtherChannel (FEC) except for the following:

•The interfaces added to the channel are Gigabit Ethernet interfaces.

•Because the onboard Gigabit Ethernet supports jumbo frames, there is a difference in the range of the MTU supported.

On the Cisco 7200, native (onboard) Gigabit Ethernet supports jumbo frames. The maximum transmission unit (MTU) supported on native Gigabit Ethernet ports is 9216. By default, the EtherChannel takes an MTU size in the range of 1500 to 10240 bytes. Once the first interface is added to the channel and an MTU is configured on it, the MTU range of the EtherChannel changes from its default value to the range supported by the first interface added to the channel

Regards :D

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card