cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1x authentucation only on Virtaul machine. i want to by pass EAP authentication on Host machine

vikasku4
Level 1
Level 1

i want to do EAP authentication (802.1x) authentication by the client installed on Virtual machine. i want to by pass EAP authentication(802.1x) on Host machine, because i wanted to test it on the client in VM not on the host machine. for wifi it works fine because i can have a USB wifi NIC which connects to VM directly and the authentication goes fine as host machine NIC does not come into the picture at all.

but in Case of wired VM NIC has to go via Host NIC.

2 Replies 2

Have u ever tried to use bridged network on the VM Software and maybe disable all other option from your Host NIC except the VM protocols?

Gustavo Novais
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I managed to do that with a VM and a host, both authenticating in wired, behind a phone. The host would receive an ACL limiting its traffic to just internet and the VM could access the internal network. (do not ask to discuss the use case).

The considerations were that :

• both host and VM would need to be on the same dynamically assigned VLAN, as 2960/3750 do not support two DATA domain hosts in different vlans (3850 apparently supports or will support it), so I had to have 802.1X both on host and in VM.
  • the VSwitch in VMworkstation had to be in bridge mode.
  • authentication mode multiauth had to be enabled in the interface in order to cope with multiple authenticated sessions behind the same interface.

What is exactly your question?

Gustavo

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card