cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

871 vlan routing

Joli Martinez
Level 1
Level 1

I have read several articles and all tell me that an 871 with advanced IP IOS supports min 4 vlans.  I only want to use 3 for right now.  I have IOS 12.4(15) with advanced IP.  I want to connect to the Fa0 of the 871 to the Fa0/1 of a 2950 which already configured as a trunk port, and also the switch is already configured for the respective, Vlans.

The problem I  am having is that all the directions say it is possible but my router does accept the commands.

for one.  I cant seem to be able to add a sub interface on Fa0, next I have Vlans created but when I do a "sh vlans" it says that no vlans are created"

please help

1 Reply 1

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

if you want to use the router for intervlan routing and the Vlans are on the 2960 then no need to create vlans on the router.by the way to see vlans configured on a router you must issue the command sh vlan-switch brief unlike switches where the command is sh vlan brief.

to create a subinterface you must no shut the main physical interface and then specify the vlan with encap dot1q x where x is the vlan id then you can configure an ip address under this subinterface.

But you can do this on a routed interface not a switch interface so first verify this is the case by issuing sh run interface x/x

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card