cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

881W configured as AP

habana1020131
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I'm configuring a CISCO881W as an AP only. User get connected to the WIFI but they can't go to Internet. I can ping google IP from the AP module but I can not ping user's IP under the AP.

Can any one help me with this issue?

Thanks in advance!

17 Replies 17

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

does the ap have a route to the router that's allowing them reach the internet , the router part needs to be setup too so they can break out

this doc may help theres examples in it for 800 series

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/62176/configuration-example-861w881w891w-series-isrs

Yes, the AP has a route and the router module also have a default route (the gateway of the network isn't the Cisco)

Here you can find the configuration for both modules

ok cool so when you trace from say a wireless user pc to 8.8.8.8 where does it stop at the cisco device or the other vendor ?

This is what I get for the ping:

Tracing route to google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1  user.wireless.pc [192.168.36.127]  reports: Destination host unreachable.

Trace complete.

-------------------------------------------------------

Tracing route to internal.lan.devices [192.168.36.17]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms    <1 ms     1 ms  internal.lan.devices [192.168.36.17]

Trace complete.

I had been trying to find a solution for almost a week and I can make it work.

Thanks in advance.

can the pc even ping the vlan interface on the cisco router  192.168.36.254 or the .253

where does it get its address from static or dhcp , I don't see any dhcp on the configs

It gets the IP address from a DHCP server in the same subnet.

it can ping the 254 and 253 address but not celui du gateway 36.36

Hello,

I don't want to interfere with a running investigation, but on your AP, you have configured:

ip default-gateway 192.168.36.36

Where is 192.168.36.36.? The default gateway should be the IP address of Vlan 1 on the router module:

ip default-gateway 192.168.36.254

192.168.36.36 is the default gateway for VLAN 1. The router module isn't the default gateway.

When I started to configure, I had 254 as a default gateway for the IP traffic but I had the same issue, still not Internet access.

Hello,

192.168.36.254 needs to be set as the default gateway for your wireless clients on the AP, because there is nothing else configured on the router module.

That said, what is the Cisco 881W connected to ? Is NAT for the Cisco IP range set upon that device ?

No, I don't have NAT since everything is in the same VLAN with the same IP range.

I set the default gateway as 192.168.36.36 for the AP and for the router module.

The users under wifi gets their address from a DHCP server in the network, and they receive the 36.36 as default gateway.

It should work! but I think I misunderstood the way the AP works.

Hello,

in order for the wireless clients to connect to the router module, they need to have their default gateway set to an IP address configured on the router module. In your case, that is the IP address of Vlan 1, 192.168.36.254. You need to make sure that your DHCP server assigns that default gateway to the clients. Once your clients can ping the default gateway, which is effectively the router module, they then need to go to the next step, which is the Internet. Is your 881 directly connected to the Internet, or is there another device (such as a cable modem)  in between ?

The 881 is connected to another router who is the gateway and the device for get internet access. Actually, I want to use the 881 as AP only, but it seems that it must use the router module also..

Indeed, the AP needs the router module, you cannot bypass it. The default route on the router module should be the next hop on the gateway, 192.168.36.36 in your case. On the AP, the default gateway must be the IP address of Vlan 1, 192.168.36.254.

Hello
2pennys worth! (im the in uk)

If i am understanding this topology correctly - this ap is bridging between the clients, GERO_MAC device and router, So the AP doesnt need a default gateway, neither does the GERO_MAC device , As traffic up to this point is all L2

The clients CAN have a D/G of 192.168.36.36  as long as the device that holds this address is perfroming the L3 routing for traffic off this vlan.

On the GERO_MAC  try disabling ip routing and then let the this 192.168.36.36 devcie do the routing.

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card