Views
Helpful
Replies

9300-24S and GLC-TE issues

ma20
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We're having issues with a couple of Catalyst 9300-24S switches that we've recently deployed as a stack.  When we insert an official Cisco GLC-TE, the interface instantly goes into err-disable with:-

"The inserted SFP module with interface name Gix/x/x is not supported"

"gbic-invalid error detected on Gix/x/x, putting Gix/x/x in err-disable state"

Things we've tried:-

- Service unsupport-transceiver

- no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid

The above has now stopped them automatically shutting down, but then we can't get a link to come up.  Sometimes the links come up after a minute or two, and on other SFP's, we have to reseat them to get the link up.

9300 is running 16.12.3a (Gibraltar).  GLC-SX-MMD's seem to be fine.  SFP Matrix says the modules are supported.

Show inv on one of the interfaces shows the correct PID of "GLC-TE".

Any ideas?  We've managed to get all the links up and working through multiple reseats/bouncing the interfaces, but can't leave it like this in case of reloads/power blips.

Thanks,
Matt.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Raise a TAC Case. It sounds like a bug.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Raise a TAC Case. It sounds like a bug.

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

A minimum software requirement is IOS XE 16.11.1.  As you mentioned you are fulfilling it. You can book a ticket with Cisco TAC.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

how many SFP's are in place? it may accept either 4x1G OR 4x10G

if one slot is occupied with a 1G SFP you cannot use 10G SFP's in the other slots.

ma20
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks all, will raise a TAC when the switches go on contract.

Hi, I am experiencing a similar issue with the same model switch and SFPs. Did you get a fix for this?

Many thanks

I'm due to upgrade the IOS in the next few weeks, so hopefully that will resolve it. I couldn't contact TAC at the time due to some delays with service contracts, but I'm assuming it's a bug.

Thank you for your reply. I can confirm that version 16.12.4 experiences the same issue.

We found that having a C9300-NM-4G module inserted seemed to fix some of the issues we were seeing with the GLC-TE SFPs.

We also have issues with GLC-SX-MMD fibre SFPs. The switch sees them in the inventory but puts them in a down state on the switch end, however the router on the other end is in an up/up state. Doing a shut/no shut gets them working again. Moving the connection to the NM module seems to work fine.

@kav1187ss wrote:

I can confirm that version 16.12.4 experiences the same issue.

16.12.X train is not a "stable" release and we found this out the hard way.  `

Hello ma20,

I faced with same issue with 9300-24S (IOS 16.12.05b) and GLC-TE.
How do you managed with this? Did IOS upgrade resolve it?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card