Views
Helpful
Replies

9300 IOS XE upgrade gone wrong

mbrooks251
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings

I have a C9300-48T stacked with C9300-24S.  They had been running 17.03.05.  After I upgraded using the following command

request platform software package install switch all file usbflash0-1:cat9k_iosxe.17.06.05.SPA.bin auto-copy

the stack now boots as follows:

Initializing Hardware...

Initializing Hardware......

System Bootstrap, Version 17.6.1r[FC2], RELEASE SOFTWARE (P)
Compiled Wed 05/12/2021 15:39:34.01 by rel

Current ROMMON image : Primary
Last reset cause : PowerOn
C9300-48T platform with 8388608 Kbytes of main memory

boot: attempting to boot from [flash:packages.conf]
boot: reading file packages.conf
#
###############################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################

and then it just sits there - never finishes booting, never goes into ROMMON or gives switch: prompt.  I've tried

1. Repeatedly hitting Ctrl+Break during boot

2. Cold booting holding down mode button

3. Disconnecting stacking and power stack cables

all to no avail: the switch never finishes booting, nor does it go into ROMMON.

How can I fix this?

Thanks,

2 Replies 2

Torbjørn
Spotlight
Spotlight

It sounds like it is "bricked" and will require an RMA. I would open a TAC case for this.

Happy to help! Please mark as helpful/solution if applicable.
Get in touch: https://torbjorn.dev

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@mbrooks251 wrote:
then it just sits there - never finishes booting, never goes into ROMMON or gives switch: prompt.

It looks like the ROMMON is corrupt.  

Disconnect that switch from the stack (remove the stacking cables) and then force the switch to go into ROMMON.  

Reconnect the power cord to the switch or the active switch. As soon as the System LED blinks, press and release the Mode button 2-3 times.

Once the switch is in ROMMON, use the "emergency-install usbflash0:IOS_file.bin" to put the firmware back in.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card