cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9410 with SUP-2XL modules - Cannot get 40G optics to work..

onewaydrive
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I am working on a client site and the client ordered 9400X-SUP-2XL and 40G QSFP optics. If we enable the uplinks to the distribution switch (Nexus 9336), the links flap constantly on every one of the devices. The interfaces available in the CLI are only HundredGigabitEthernet.. When I insert a 100G optic, the links are stable and will not go down. But as soon as the 40G is put back in, they immediately flap.

The compatibility matrix and data sheet says 40/100.. but they dont work and theres no FortyGigE interfaces to reference or configure.

We have tried a multitude of things. Speed can not be hard coded on the 9410 but we tried it on the nexus, didnt help. Weve tried disabling the 25G ports next to the 100G interfaces, no luck. We made sure we are on the starred release (17.9.5)

I have tried to tell the client to just use 100G optics but he is dead set on the 40G and saying they should work. Weve also tried different vendor optics as well. Not sure where to go from here. This is a routed access environment. So physical interfaces are set as "no switchport, no IP" and then has multiple sub interfaces which peer with the other end via OSPF.

Any help is appreciated! thank you! TAC is involved but hasnt answered yet

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Looking at the datasheet for the 9400 Sup, it appears that the uplinks are 100Gig and not 40.

The Cisco Catalyst C9400X-SUP-2XL supervisor engine is a next-generation supervisor optimized for the enterprise-class core and aggregation layers, supporting up to 480 Gbps per slot with 100G uplinks. Supervisor Engine-2XL allows for unique investment protection through a 100G uplink connectivity option, which is becoming a popular alternative to 40G in the core.

Link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9400-series-switches/nb-06-cat9400-ser-sup-eng-data-sheet-cte-en.html

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card