Views
Helpful
Replies

9606R IOSXE-17.13.1 file size

todd.hsieh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a new deployment of two 9606R HA using StackWise Virtual and install with quad SUP-1.

Currently, there is no suggest version for 9606R in Cisco software download site.  

Does any one use 17.13.1 in 9606R ?

I also found 17.13.1 file size is smaller than 17.12 and 17.11. I mean isn't it supposed bigger as version grows ?

Thanks,

Todd

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@todd.hsieh wrote:

17.13.1 is a single-release train.  This means that if there are any bugs discovered, it will not be fixed in 17.13.2 because Cisco is not going to release one.  Hence, the term "single-release". 

Only people who want to "help Cisco find bugs" would want to use single-release train.  

A 9606R is not an ordinary switch.  It is a core switch.  And nobody is brave enough to use a buggy single-release train on a core switch.

For stability, try using a multi-release train like 17.9.X or 17.12.X.  

NOTE:  17.12.3 is about to be release in the next few days (if not next week).

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello @todd.hsieh ,

Quad Sup in the Catalyst 9600 is supported in IOS XE greater than 17.2.x.

Tale a look at the following link for details on migrating from 2 Sup to Quad Sup: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-9600-series-switches/215627-catalyst-9600-migration-to-quad-superv.html

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@todd.hsieh wrote:

17.13.1 is a single-release train.  This means that if there are any bugs discovered, it will not be fixed in 17.13.2 because Cisco is not going to release one.  Hence, the term "single-release". 

Only people who want to "help Cisco find bugs" would want to use single-release train.  

A 9606R is not an ordinary switch.  It is a core switch.  And nobody is brave enough to use a buggy single-release train on a core switch.

For stability, try using a multi-release train like 17.9.X or 17.12.X.  

NOTE:  17.12.3 is about to be release in the next few days (if not next week).

Thank you.

How do I know if this version is single-release train or multi-release train ?

Multi-release train are 17.3.X, 17.6.X, 17.9.X, 17.12.X, 17.15.X and so on.  

Can you see the "pattern"?

Yes, multi-release train start with 3 and add 3 to become next multi-release version.

Thank you!

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>... I mean isn't it supposed bigger as version grows ?
                          Not always , 

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@todd.hsieh

Probably multi-release train like 17.9.X or 17.12.X.  depending of the release notes 

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card