cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

A need for an expanded C3KX-NM-1G module!??

relder
Level 1
Level 1

A product I could have used a number of times is a expanded version of the C3KX-NM-1G device module.  To include 2 or maybe 4 more SFP ports.  From the layout behind the faceplate there is plenty of space which additional circuit boards could be placed, (which is used in the 2 port 10GB version). 

I don't need the 12 port fiber switch that Cisco has, because I need a few RJ45 connection at that location, which I would then have to buy additional Fiber to coper Gbics for a few connections where the switch is at.  The reason I need something like this is I have a few locations which I get a main feed from the City fiber, then it gets sent out to a number of local buildings on my fiber.  Maybe another option is to take the 12port switch, and have an option for 6 rj45 and 6 sfp connections. 

Just an idea and was wondering if I was the only one with a need, or if there are other creative solutions I have not thought of.

Thanks!

Rick

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco does not have small 1u switch that comes with a combination of 1Gig copper and fiber in the same chassis.  most switches are copper with fiber uplinks (1-4) or all fiber with no copper.  If you are in need of terminating multiple fiber and copper ports in the same chassis.  Look at the 4900 series.  It is 2u chassis and you can install fiber and copper blades.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6021/ps9310/Data_Sheet_Cat_4900M.html

HTH

Pawan Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I agree with Reza, if you want to have a mix n match of copper n fiber uplinks then 4900M is the option for you but the price difference is really heavy then.

Regards,

Pawan Sharma

http://www.ebrahma.com

Regards,
Pawan Sharma
https://itgears.io

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you want four (4) 1Gb SFP ports only and 24 Gig copper ports then another candidate is the 2960S-24TS.  Do NOT get the model with the "D" suffix because this means there are two SFP/SFP+ ports.

relder
Level 1
Level 1

The 4900M does look like a good switch, maybe for a bigger location then the one I have in mind.  I did see the switch with only 2 sfp modules, that would defitanly NOT be a good fit. 

Looks like the 4900M has a starting price of 8000 to 9000 dollars.  Which is a tad much since I can get a WS-C3560X-24T-S with a 4 port fiber module card for around 3000.  I would not paying an extra 300 follars to get 6 or 8 ports on the C3KX-NM-1G module (if it existed).  It would save money overall and would not need to move up to the next layer of hardware. 

As someone said,to use the 3560X-24TS, which is what I will be using but I wanted 2 or 4 MORE ports... giving a total capacity of 6 or 8 sfp ports in the C3KX-NM-1G module  We are ok for now at that location with 4 ports, but if one other site decides to join us, then we are out of fiber ports.

I could buy three WS-C3560X-24T-S switches for the same price, which would technically give me 12 fiber sfp ports, sure I would be at 3u vs 2 u.  but then I am overkill on rj45 ports.  So this is kinda what I was thinking, if they made a "sweet spot" 6 or 8 port sfp module, it would fill the gap between the smaller switches, and the bigger 4900M.  I know they rather sell the bigger one, but there is no way I can justify that at this offsite.  It can't be a backplane issue with the C3560X, because they sell a twin 20gb port module.  Though I really dig the 4900M switch, and might use it at a few of our bigger throughput sites.

I could buy three WS-C3560X-24T-S switches for the same price, which would technically give me 12 fiber sfp ports, sure I would be at 3u vs 2 u.  but then I am overkill on rj45 ports. 

I'm sorry but you are confusing me.  How many SFP ports do you want?  If you want 12 SFP ports, then it's a no brainer - Cisco WS-C3750X-12S for 12 x 1 Gb SFP.  If you want a 24-port 1 Gb SFP port then you can also choose the WS-C3750X-24S.

Both the WS-C3750X-12S and WS-C3750X-24S can support the same 1Gb or 10Gb fibre optic module insert.  One thing about the 3750 is that you can stack them together.

Idealy I would love a 6 or 8 sfp ports for one switch, while still having a number of RJ45 ports. 

That is why I thought a expanded C3KX-NM-1G module would be good.  Buy a  6 or 8 sfp module and slap that in there as opposed to buying another switch.

Idealy I would love a 6 or 8 sfp ports for one switch, while still having a number of RJ45 ports.

You may as well get one WS-C3750X-48 and a WS-C3750X-12S and stack them together.

Because your idea of three WS-C3560X cannot be stacked together. 

Yes, but then I still need to buy a whole new switch in addition to the that I need.  Then I would have WAY more fiber ports, I will never need 16 sfp ports at that location, and cost way more then I want to spend at this site.  Though it does seem like Cisco wants me to buy the extra switch since that seems to be the only other way to do it. 

Thanks for all your input!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco