Views
Helpful
Replies

A question about 'ip port-map' command and class-maps

shaijosef
Level 1
Level 1

Hello to you Cisco folks,

I have an understaing question regarding the port-map command and the router's behaviour.

What does the below line exactly do when used in class-maps?:

"ip port-map smtp port tcp from 35 to 45"

!

class-map type inspect match-any pub-to-priv-cmap

match protocol smtp

!

In the snmp case, will the router inspect/pass SMTP connection that have SMTP-related headers and on ports 35 to 45?

Will connections destined to port 35-45 must be SMTP in order to pass the router ans otherwise blocked?

Thanks in advance      

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ValleyITPC
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a bit new to ZFW and such, so take my suggestions as just hopefully helpful suggestions and not the answer (unless I"m right! )

You might achieve the same result if you used NAT instead, mapping ports 35-45 on the outside to port 25 on the inside or dmz.  That way you don't have to customize the smtp protocol itself.  NAT occurs before firewall from the outside to inside, so your firewall would need to just allow smtp with port 25. 

The question is, how to translate 11 ports (35 to 45 inclusive) to a single internal port (25).  I'm actually not sure how to do this.  Probably an ACL works best.  So, create a ACL for it, then a route-map, and embed that ACL in the route-map. Then, put the route-map into a NAT entry. Example:

Create ACL:

access-list 166 permit tcp any range 35 45 host 192.168.0.123 eq 25

Create Route-Map:

Router#config t

Router(config)#route-map permit 10

Router(config-route-map)#match ip address 166

Router(config-route-map)#exit

Create a NAT rule:

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.0.123 0.0.0.0 route-map

So the result, I think, is that any source host coming in on pots tcp 35-45 will be translated to tcp port 25 on IP 192.168.0.123. 

I can't actually test this here so I am hoping it is either correct or close enough for you to test on your own. 

I'm new to Cisco stuff so hey if I'm right, mark this as a Correct Answer, it'll be my first one

Edited:  On review, I'm not entirely sure the ip nat command is correct as it doesn't specifiy your global IP or interface to apply the NAT rule to.  See the command below for a possible alternate.

ip nat inside source route-map interface

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ValleyITPC
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a bit new to ZFW and such, so take my suggestions as just hopefully helpful suggestions and not the answer (unless I"m right! )

You might achieve the same result if you used NAT instead, mapping ports 35-45 on the outside to port 25 on the inside or dmz.  That way you don't have to customize the smtp protocol itself.  NAT occurs before firewall from the outside to inside, so your firewall would need to just allow smtp with port 25. 

The question is, how to translate 11 ports (35 to 45 inclusive) to a single internal port (25).  I'm actually not sure how to do this.  Probably an ACL works best.  So, create a ACL for it, then a route-map, and embed that ACL in the route-map. Then, put the route-map into a NAT entry. Example:

Create ACL:

access-list 166 permit tcp any range 35 45 host 192.168.0.123 eq 25

Create Route-Map:

Router#config t

Router(config)#route-map permit 10

Router(config-route-map)#match ip address 166

Router(config-route-map)#exit

Create a NAT rule:

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.0.123 0.0.0.0 route-map

So the result, I think, is that any source host coming in on pots tcp 35-45 will be translated to tcp port 25 on IP 192.168.0.123. 

I can't actually test this here so I am hoping it is either correct or close enough for you to test on your own. 

I'm new to Cisco stuff so hey if I'm right, mark this as a Correct Answer, it'll be my first one

Edited:  On review, I'm not entirely sure the ip nat command is correct as it doesn't specifiy your global IP or interface to apply the NAT rule to.  See the command below for a possible alternate.

ip nat inside source route-map interface

ValleyITPC
Level 1
Level 1

Any luck?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi,

Yes, I know about the NAT option.

thanks you for your help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card