Views
Helpful
Replies

AAA cli authorization fails on standby supervisor - CAT4K

LuensmannIT
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, there

I've a couple of WS-C4507R+E switches (Version 03.08.07.E.152-4.E7) with installed standby supervisor engine.
After attaching to the standby supervisor engine ("attach module 4", "session module 4") I'm getting cli authorization fails if I try to execute a privileged command.

I found the Bug CSCtr65315 (https://quickview.cloudapps.cisco.com/quickview/bug/CSCtr65315 / https://bst.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCtr65315) which describes my problem pretty well, but targets Nexus 7K (N7K).

Is anyone aware of this bug hitting C4K Switches also?
Any recommandation how to solve this issue?

HOSTNAME#attach module 4
Connecting to standby virtual console
Type "exit" or "quit" to end this session

HOSTNAME-standby-console#verify bootflash:/cat4500es8-universalk9.SPA.03.08.07.E.152-4.E7.bin
% Authorization failed.

HOSTNAME-standby-console#show run
% Authorization failed.

HOSTNAME-standby-console#show version
-> works

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Also try HOSTNAME-standby-console#show logging  ; in order to check if additional info's are logged when the authorization fails ,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

This command also leads to a % Authorization failed.
Show logging on the primary sub does not show an entry.
debug aaa authorization also shows nothing.

- As it could be a bug for the WS-C4507R+E switches too ; you may try the latest advisory software release and check if that can help , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello
If it isn't a bug and depending on you AAA configuration, its possible you are authenticating to tacacs but no being authorised, which could be negated by appending "if-authenticated" to the authorization commands 

Any chance you can isolate the switch's and then gain access via local creds and remove or amend tacacs, also check your authentication server (ISE/ACS)  for missing/changed ACLs

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

> also check your authentication server (ISE/ACS) for missing/changed ACLs
TACACS+ (ISE 2.6) live logs only shows the passed Authorization for the attach module command.
I do not see any logs regarding the commands throwing a "% Authorization failed"

Overview

Request TypeAuthorization
StatusPass

Message TextDevice-Administration: Command Authorization succeeded
UsernameXXXXX
Authorization PolicyTacacs >> XXXXX
Shell Profile 
Matched Command SetPERMIT_ALL
Command From Deviceattach module 4

ACACS Protocol

Authentication MethodNone
Authentication Privilege Level15
Authentication TypeASCII
Authentication ServiceNone

Regarding your other hints i will reply later.

> Any chance you can isolate the switch's and then gain access via local creds and remove or amend tacacs

unfortunately not before mid of october. I will respond as soon as i manage to get one switch isolated

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card