Helpful
Replies

Access & Distribution & Core Switch Calculation Based on User Count

vinoth vinoth
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

Greetings.

Could you please anyone clarify the below query ?

How many access switches can connect to the Distribution Switch based on user count?

Ex:- I need to design the NW diagram for 1000Users. So i use 48 port switch as Cisco 2960Series as 21No`s.

Shall i connect these access switches directly to the one Cisco 3850-24 port switch ?

How do i ensure one Cisco 3850 can handle all the access switches without any bottleneck ?

Leave it redundancy and other L2 & L3 Stuffs.

Kindly clarify the calculation based SW capacity, Throughput and other stuffs ASAP.

Regards,

V.Vinoth

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

User count, alone, isn't really sufficient information.  You also need to know how much traffic each user will be pushing and pulling and the service level requirements of that traffic.  Also, you might have different kinds of users whose traffic requirements vary.

Dear Joseph,

Thanks for giving your input.

I tell you one scenario like all 48 port switch is connected to IP camera which consumes 2mbps traffic. (ex:- 1000 camera`s).

Kindly suggest.

Regards,

V.Vinoth

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Ok, so 48 ports times 2 Mbps, is 96 Mbps.  A single uplink FE might handle that.

However, video traffic can be bursty, so more link bandwidth might be required.  Additionally, if the camera traffic were "live" versus "recorded", would impact whether you can queue bursts.  What appears simple, the 96 Mbps might not be, because it depends on the factors I just mentioned.  Such is a example of needing to understand the nature of your traffic.

Dear Joseph,
Thanks for your input.
Means each switch might handle 96Mbps. So total 21 SW, like 2016Mbps.
However, video traffic can be bursty, so more link bandwidth might be required.  Additionally, if the camera traffic were "live" versus "recorded", would impact whether you can queue bursts.  What appears simple, the 96 Mbps might not be, because it depends on the factors I just mentioned.
For above factors, We don't need to consider above the distribution SW. Just we want to know up to Distribution Switch. So which parameter do i need to check Cisco3850-24 port SW to handle 2016Mbps like SW capacity.
Regards,
V.Vinoth

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

You could check a switch's interior bandwidth capacity and PPS capacity, but again, you need to know more about the nature of your traffic so you can also determine if a switch's buffering is sufficient and/or whether you have other features you need, e.g. QoS.

Understand, most Enterprise class switches sold today are billed as wire-speed, but going just by bandwidth and/or PPS capacity, might lead to disappointments.

Dear Joseph,
Greetings.
If you have any case study regarding designing the Campus Network based on user, application, data flow etc, please share with me.
I agree your point which you mentioned above like user Qty is not enough to finalize the Switch Model.
But i need something detailed information about  how to suggest switch model on which basis its suggested.
Please do the needful.
Regards.
V.Vinoth
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card