Views
Helpful
Replies

Access switches replacement

Shehri
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a project to replace more than 30 switches at a particular site with a best migration approach to reduce the downtime or impact to max. Can anyone suggest what steps that we should follow to minimize the impact of whole network altogether at same time . Some switches have redundant connections but most of them have single connection to core.

kindly suggest the approach we should follow in a same window.

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is the site a 24x7 or a 9-to-5 site?

Hi

It is 24x7 but we can get agreed downtime.we have to justify our approach to which can reduce the impact because we can’t bring whole site down and install replacement switches.

Just looking for best approach that we can follow

Without knowing the network layout: 

1. Install replacement switch. 
  2. Cut over link to the new switch. 
  3. Move users one by one. 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you have the "space" to bring a new switch on-line, w/o any edge connections.  If so, can you re-patch hosts to the replacement switch?  If so, each host outage might only be a couple of seconds, i.e. the re-patching transfer.

The foregoing also assumes you can bring the first replacement switch, on-line, with uplink to join existing network.  If you need to relocate an uplink, and you have no redundancy, that too will cause an outage to all the ports downstream of it.  That too might only take seconds, but number of ports impacted is usually more than just one edge port.

Even though any of the forgoing outages should only take seconds, even in a 24x7 environment, usage generally waxes and wans per day of week and/or hour of day.  I.e. make impactful changes during low usage periods.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card