cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Accessing WRVS4400N Web Interface on LAN

brianmosher
Level 1
Level 1

I have Comcast as my ISP and their Small Business Gateway Router/Firewall. I purchased a WRVS4400N and configured them like this:

Comcast Router/Firewall - 10.1.10.1

Cisco WRVS4400N - 10.1.11.1

I turned DHCP off on the Cisco so that wireless devices that connect to it get a 10.1.10 address from the Comcast device. Now, I am completely unable to connect to the web interface of the Cisco, whether connected to it wirelessly or even if I plug directly into one of the LAN ports on it. I have one of the LAN ports on the Cisco connected to one of the LAN ports on the Comcast. What am I missing here? I'm guessing I'm not able to see the 10.1.11 addresses when I am getting a 10.1.10 address from the Comcast, even though I'm connected to the Cisco?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.                  

6 Replies 6

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Brian, the WRVS unit needs to be on the same subnet as the Comcast box with your scenario. Assign a 10.1.10.x address to the WRVS and interconnect the same way then it should work.

Statically assign an IP to your computer, 10.1.11.x to be able access the WRVS then make the appropriate changes.

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

I tried that first, but I get the Wireless LAN IP is the same as the LAN IP when I change it to 10.1.10.2. And it won't let me save. Ultimately I'm trying to get an IPSEC VPN tunnel setup and I have a static Public from my ISP to give it, but I need my wired and wireless computers to all be able to get out on that tunnel, and vice versa on the other side of the tunnel. This was why I had my Comcast do all the DHCP work.

Brian, the VPN won't work with nearly any configuration you do with these products. The WRVS doesn't have a NAT-T function and would require your public IP on the WAN interface. The Comcast box is double-nat the connection making it nearly impossible to route all the protocols correctly and I don't know if it has an IPSEC passthrough.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Wait, I'm confused. I purchased this device because I read posts from several people that said it was a great device for small businesses to do site-to-site VPN connections. I have a public IP address I can put on the WAN interface of it. But you are saying essentially that the VPN isn't going to work on it? I'm not understanding why if the device is touted as one that has that functionality and several people has said it has worked well for them.

And what about the issue I have of it saying the Wireless LAN scheme can't be the same as the LAN scheme?

Brian, you have 1 large issue. The issue is, your Comcast device is a router. It performs NAT and routing function. There's nothing wrong with the WRVS, unfortunately, your ISP provided you a router, not a modem.

-Tom

Ah....I gotcha. Fair enough.I'll check with Comcast. I would imagine they have many business customers that are doing what I'm trying to do. There has to be a way to work it out.

Thanks for the insight, Tom!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: