cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Active/Active high availability

superlubis
Level 1
Level 1

Just a quick question how do i do active/active redudancy or high availability beetwen 2 core and 2 distribution With Cisco core switch ? is Virtual switch is the answer or ecmp ?

thx        

5 Replies 5

rahurao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ibrahim,

Can you discuss the tolpology in a little detail ?

Regards

Rahul K. Rao

Carl Messer
Level 1
Level 1

Vss is the best way on a 6500 but your supervisors will need to support it. Failing that you could use hsrp/glbp for your vlans.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

smehrnia
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

That totally depends on the platforms that serve your nework. if VSS is not an option, try L2 redundancy between your switches with etherchannels and HSRP for gateway availablity. of course with regards to your network's topology, you have to have Core - Distribute X redundant links.

ECMP is more of a Load Sharing mechanism, although it can be useful if mixed with redundancy solutions.

plz Rate if it helped.

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

Topology i plan is 3 tier, 2 core switch, distribution switch and access switch.

Im looking for a active/active or load balancing link from distribution to core. So all connected link from dist to core all used all active.

If i dont use vss supervisor and use l3/routing beetwen core and dist, how do i achieve this? Is ecmp the only answer?

And also active/activr or load balancing l2 beetwen dist and access?  as far i know Hsrp is active standby?

Thx

PolymorphismIce
Level 1
Level 1

You can have two HSRP group, configure the active gateway on each core switch.

Thks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card