cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Add a new 2960X with different IOS version but same stack protocol version to existing stack

shanilkumar2003
Level 1
Level 1

I need to add one new 2960x switch to an existing production stack of 2960x. existing stack has got different IOS than new switch ,but stack protocol version  (maj.min) looks the same. do I need to upgrade the IOS or will it work with different IOS if I add to existing stack , please help

Existing Stack
===========

System image file is "flash:/c2960x-universalk9-mz.150-2a.EX5.bin"

Switch Ports Model              SW Version            SW Image                
------ ----- -----              ----------            ----------              
*    1 52    WS-C2960X-48FPS-L  15.0(2a)EX5           C2960X-UNIVERSALK9-M    
     2 52    WS-C2960X-48FPS-L  15.0(2a)EX5           C2960X-UNIVERSALK9-M    
     3 28    WS-C2960X-24PS-L   15.0(2a)EX5           C2960X-UNIVERSALK9-M

7 Replies 7

Sergey Lisitsin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

shanilkumar2003,

Yes, the requirement is to have all the stack members on the same version of IOS code.

shanilkumar2003
Level 1
Level 1

You have two choices here: either to downgrade the new member's IOS version to what is running on the stack or to upgrade the stack version and connect the new member.

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Take a look at the command: boot auto-copy-sw

...this should copy the current stack image to the newly joining member.

In reality I have never seen this work correctly, so I always configure the new switch with the same images that is running on the stack it is about to join.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-0_2_EX/stack_manager/configuration_guide/b_stck_152ex_2960-x_cg/b_stck_152ex_2960-x_cg_chapter_010.html#con_1189959 

Cheers,

Seb.

Yes, I think general practice is to upgrade/downgrade to the same version before joining a new member. Much safer option.

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
If the major and minor numbers work it will stack ok , they dont need to be exactly the same but these must match
It is good practice to have them match exactly though for feature capability

rupesh00111
Level 1
Level 1
Find below checklist
1. Make new switch iOS same as stack iOS
2. Make new switch stack priority lowest
3. When connecting new switch in stack make sure it is power off , then do stack cabling , once cabling is complete poweron the new switch.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco