Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a 3750X to a stack of 3750G's

rcoote5902_2
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

I'm adding a 3750X-24T-S to an existing stack of 2 3750G-24-TS switches.  When I added the new switch and powered on the stack I received a version mismatch error.

I've found documentation on compatibility with IP Base, etc. but nothing for the newer Universal images for the 3750X series.  What do I need to do to get this 3rd switch talking?

Here are the outputs from show ver and show switch:

Switch Ports Model              SW Version            SW Image
------ ----- -----              ----------            ----------
     1 28    WS-C3750G-24TS-1U  12.2(50)SE3           C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M
*    2 28    WS-C3750G-24TS-1U  12.2(50)SE3           C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M
     3 0     WS-C3750X-24       12.2(55)SE            C3750E-UNIVERSALK9NPE-M

H/W   Current
Switch#  Role   Mac Address     Priority Version  State
----------------------------------------------------------
1       Member 0025.b4e3.d500     1      0       Ready
*2       Master 0025.b4e3.ca00     1      0       Ready
3       Member d0d0.fd7c.ef00     1      2       Version Mismatch

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sljwampa
Level 1
Level 1

I think you need to update the code on your 3750G's.  Here is what the docs say.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1166403

Minor Version Number Incompatibility Among Switches

Switches with the same major version number but with a different minor  version number are considered partially compatible. When connected to a  switch stack, a partially compatible switch enters version-mismatch (VM)  mode and cannot join the stack as a fully functioning member. The  software detects the mismatched software and tries to upgrade (or  downgrade) the switch in VM mode with the switch stack image or with a  tar file image from the switch stack flash memory. The software uses the  automatic upgrade (auto-upgrade) and the automatic advise (auto-advise)  features. For more information, see the "Understanding Auto-Upgrade and Auto-Advise" section.

To see if there are switches in VM mode, use the show switch user EXEC command. The port LEDs on switches in VM mode stay off. Pressing the Mode button does not change the LED mode.

You can use the boot auto-download-sw global configuration command to specify a URL pathname for the master switch to use to get an image in case of version mismatch.

Here is what my stack shows.

*    1 12    WS-C3750G-12S      12.2(55)SE            C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M    
     2 12    WS-C3750G-12S      12.2(55)SE            C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M    
     3 54    WS-C3750X-48P      12.2(55)SE            C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M  

My 3750X sh ver

Model number                    : WS-C3750X-48PF-L

License Level                   : ipbase
License Type                    : Permanent
Next reboot licensing Level     : ipbase

show switchthe 3750-X is switch 3.

*1       Master      15     0       Ready              
2       Member      14     0       Ready              
3       Member      1      1       Ready

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

sljwampa
Level 1
Level 1

Do a show version and look at what the 3750X is licensed for.  I had this problem and my 3750X was running lan base and not licensed for IP base or IP services.

It's licensed for IP Base but you're supposed to be able to mix feature sets.

You can get a temporary IP Services license and installed and see if it works with the rest of the stack. You supposed to be able to mix feature sets, but that may not always work.

Also, you have priory 1 for all switches, you should give your master a higher priority so there is no confusion which switch is the master.

HTH

Reza

I don't need (or want to pay for) IPServices on the 3750X.

I could try downgrading from Universal to IP Base on the 3750X but I'm really trying to limit downtime as this is an aggregation switch and reboots affect many users.

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

The 3750X is running Ios version 12.2(55)SE

but the 3750G us running different ios version 12.2(50)SE3

I would start with upgrading the 3750Gs (if you are allowed) to the 12.2(55) version (i does exist)

if you can not upgrade the 3750G then downgrade the 3750X to the same version as the others.

Good luck

HTH

/Torbjorn

According to the documentation as long as they are running the same major release, in this case 12.2 they should be compatible.

sljwampa
Level 1
Level 1

I think you need to update the code on your 3750G's.  Here is what the docs say.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1166403

Minor Version Number Incompatibility Among Switches

Switches with the same major version number but with a different minor  version number are considered partially compatible. When connected to a  switch stack, a partially compatible switch enters version-mismatch (VM)  mode and cannot join the stack as a fully functioning member. The  software detects the mismatched software and tries to upgrade (or  downgrade) the switch in VM mode with the switch stack image or with a  tar file image from the switch stack flash memory. The software uses the  automatic upgrade (auto-upgrade) and the automatic advise (auto-advise)  features. For more information, see the "Understanding Auto-Upgrade and Auto-Advise" section.

To see if there are switches in VM mode, use the show switch user EXEC command. The port LEDs on switches in VM mode stay off. Pressing the Mode button does not change the LED mode.

You can use the boot auto-download-sw global configuration command to specify a URL pathname for the master switch to use to get an image in case of version mismatch.

Here is what my stack shows.

*    1 12    WS-C3750G-12S      12.2(55)SE            C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M    
     2 12    WS-C3750G-12S      12.2(55)SE            C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M    
     3 54    WS-C3750X-48P      12.2(55)SE            C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M  

My 3750X sh ver

Model number                    : WS-C3750X-48PF-L

License Level                   : ipbase
License Type                    : Permanent
Next reboot licensing Level     : ipbase

show switchthe 3750-X is switch 3.

*1       Master      15     0       Ready              
2       Member      14     0       Ready              
3       Member      1      1       Ready

Yes that's what I was thinking.  I'm going to try that and if that doesn't work I'm going to update all 3 with IP Base of the same version.  Points all around for the help!  I'll let you know if it works.

Cheers,

Rob

Note that the backplane (64G) of the X-series is going to be "downgraded" to the lowest backplane of all the stackmembers.

As you see from my stack ipservices will work with ipbase.  If you are using OSPF or any
dynamic routing you will lose it in the downgrade.

Regards,

Lostwarriorram
Level 1
Level 1

I recently added 2 of 3750x switches to my existing 3750G switch stack. The stack has ipservices 12.2(45) ver software on it. The 3750x had 12.2(55) ver software on it with IP base license. The stack gave me the version mismatch error (similar to yours) until I had to upgrade the stack firmware to 12.2(55).

Now all switches are 12.2(55) version part of the stack happily together.

P.S: I learnt a hard lesson by adding another(3rd) lan base 3750x switch to the existing 3750g stack which refused to add until I upgraded the license to ip base.

Hope this helps.

Lan base is not able to stack together with ipbase.

it has nothing to do with the IOS version

Lan base can only stack with Lan base. so Lan base is not able to stack with 3750G since there is no lanbase version of 3750G

Ipbase and ip services can stack with eachother, but you might break the licensing rules.

HTH

Yes even though the documentation does mention the auto-upgrade feature between minor revisions it appears it doesn't work very well.

I matched the minor revision version on all 3 switches and they are playing well together now.

Thanks for all the assistance.

Happy Holidays.

3750X has a minimum supported release of 12.2(53)SE2,  it will not stack with another switch with a lower minimum release.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card