Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a new switch /// Spanning Tree Problems

Pedro Ivo Silva
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two Cat4500 (as standalone each, not VSS) configured as gateway of my network using HRSP. They are default gateways of many vlans of my network. Regarding STP they use the classic STP 802.1D and one of them are root bridge by lower priority. We'll replace one of old 4500 (End-of-Life announced) by another with newest hardware.

Which precautions do I need to have in mind when I replace the old 4500 by the new one?

Do I need to check anything? Will this cause STP to recalculate?

1 Reply 1

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Pedro,

Yes you are absolutely correct. You need to have the MW timeframe to replace this if this is in the production.

Following are some options:

1- Copy the config and have it handy(On notepad).

2- Is the switch root bridge which you are trying to replace?

3- Check the new switch before connecting to  the network (VTP/STP or any other configuration exist it is worth to console and check those things along with IOS which is supposed to be running on the device before it is place on the network).

4- Now here is the trick as you have many downstream devices using ths switch as there gateway now replacing it will cause the delay. But if you have dual connectivity and hSRP is running this would cause a sec delay in re-convergence.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card