cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a switch to a 3750 Stack

brandonreed
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 3750E in a stack running stackwise plus.  I need to add another switch.  I have a 3750 100mb switch and a 3560G.  Which would be faster or better.  

6 Replies 6

ciantwohig
Level 1
Level 1

the 3560 has Gig interfaces,so  it depends on your bandwidth requirements 

Please remember a new switch might not join a stack when Cisco IOS versions or stack protocol versions differ. 

The 3750 was with the stack and I took it out when I got a 2nd 3750E so it would be Stackwise Plus.   So what I am asking, is 1 gig ports with 1 gig uplinks better than 100mb ports that are using the switch stack backplane.  I guess the 100mb ports are still a bottle neck no matter, right?

Hello

what I am asking, is 1 gig ports with 1 gig uplinks better than 100mb ports that are using the switch stack backplane.

I don't think I understand your question - You connect the 3750's via its stack wise ports correct?

If that's the case  the backplane would be much more then 100mb or 1Gb uplinks.via SFP's

Make sure  the ios and feature set are the same on either models?

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

So I am better off using a 100mb switch and running my stack at just stack wise.  Or should I dump the 100mb switch and use a gig switch with 1 gig uplinks?

Hello

Ah ..I misread you OP - Now I see.

For switch interconnectivity I would go for stackwise-  For end node access 1gb is far better than 100mb however saying that it doesn't necessary mean you get 1Gb speed at the access layer anyway- so with all that in mind I would opt for the

-- 3750 switch via stackwise...

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

adawa
Level 3
Level 3

Hello, brandonreed. 

Just to add that the Cisco 3560G are already End of Life. I recommend looking at the 3750-X for a current replacement series/model. 

Let me know if you need more support or e-mail (adawa@cisco.com) me directly. Kind regards. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card