Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding Local User Account Alongside RADIUS

nstahl2124
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings!

Currently every Cisco device authenticates with a RADIUS server we have on campus. I'm trying to add a local user account onto our switches and routers so that if the RADIUS server is unavailable or the switch looses connection we are able to use another login to access what we need. However when I add aaa authorization and authentication commands (no default) I think the switch cannot identify what is a RADIUS login and what is a local login. Depending on how we move commands around local will work and RADIUS will not, or RADIUS will work and local will not. Any suggestions on how to get both to work at the same time?

Thanks!

-Noah

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Perhaps I do not have a correct understanding of what you are asking. But let me explain a little and if that does not address your issue then perhaps you can provide some clarification.

You can not have Radius and the local account work at the same time - at least not in the sense that you can login and enter either one and expect it to work. What you can do (and what most people do) is to define one as primary (usually Radius) and one as backup (usually local account). Then when you attempt to login the device will attempt to use Radius, and if the Radius server is not available then it will use the local account.

If that does not clarify your issue then please help us understand better what your issue is.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yes, this is exactly what we are trying to do. Sorry about that. So just set the Radius to "default" in the aaa authorization and authentication commands?

In the aaa authentication commands you can list more than one method. So you would list Radius first, since it is to be primary, and then list local, since it is to be the backup. Perhaps we could discuss it better if you post the way that you are trying to use the commands.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card