cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adjust speed with rate limit policy

juan-ruiz
Level 1
Level 1

I have a gig interface connected to a metro E circuit that I need to rate limit to 100 Mbps.

I'm running a Cisco 6509-E

Can someone provide me an example and a link to the Cisco documentation on rate limiting traffic to a specific speed without the use of speed command?

If I adjust the speed and duplex then I will take the metro E down circuit because the provider side is hard coded to 1000/Full

Thanks,

Juan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

adamclarkuk_2
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Juan

use policing instead, here is a sample config:-

class-map match-all matchany

match any

policy-map police:100mbps

class match-all

police cir 100000000

interface x/x

service-policy output police:100mbps

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

adamclarkuk_2
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Juan

use policing instead, here is a sample config:-

class-map match-all matchany

match any

policy-map police:100mbps

class match-all

police cir 100000000

interface x/x

service-policy output police:100mbps

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

BTW, a rate limiter or policer, in their default configurations, are often very severe methods to cap bandwidth. From the little you describe, unless your MetroE provider charges you for exceeding contracted bandwidth, imposing a rate limiter or policer that drops packets often doesn't provide much benefit more than stats showing you exceeding your contracted rate while it can adversly impact traffic performance (not uncommon to see effective rate lower than nominal configured rate). Depending on what exactly you're trying to accomplish, you might not want to use the defaults for Bc (and perhaps Be) and/or implement a shaper solution. For instance, if what you're trying to do is emulate a 100 Mbps Ethernet interface using a rate limiter or policer, will probably require some analysis for proper parameter settings beyond just configuration for a 100 Mbps rate.

Hi Josephdoherty,

You are right and what I'm trying to do is decide if we should scale down to 100 Mbps metro E from 1000 Mbps metro E.

I have PRTG on these ports and I'm getting bw utilization stats but I wanted to go an extra mile and limit the bandwidth to only 100 Mbps without getting the provider involved and review the reports at that time again.

Thanks,

Juan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: