cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Advice for campus design

felix.reyner
Level 1
Level 1

I have ISR 4331 that have only 2 ports, right now in my environment I have L3 switches and several access switches.

My question is, i want to have 2 ISP for redundancy, but i am lack of ports, is there a solution if i want to plug my isp cable to access switch? In my mind i need from L3 switch to router keep using routing like OSPF

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can bring 2 ISPs and connect each one to a different port on the same 4331 router.  If you want more redundancy and your have the budget than you can purchase a second router and bring one ISP to one router and the second one to the other router.  You would also need to connect the routers together for fail-over.

HTH

Hi reza,

If i have 2 ports on router, then first port for L3 switch and second port isp 1 right? I just thingking how to plug cable of isp2 to access switch

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes, you can use your L3 switch to provide the router a "3rd" port.  The trick is, you'll trunk from the router to the switch.  This will allow you to have multiple logical (sub interface) interfaces on the trunk port.

The switch doesn't route to the ISP, it just provides an access port, whose VLAN is passed on the trunk to the router.

If any of your switches are stacked, you can also run your two router ports to a different stack members, forming a MEC, and trunk both your inside and outside logical ports on that MEC, also configured as trunk.  Then no one switch, or one ISP, or one port on the router is a single point of failure.

Hi,

You could use what Joe suggested by using a switch or if you don't want to use the switch you can add a 2 port 1Gig module to the router and terminate both ISPs at the router.  Here is a link to the supported modules.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/relevant-interfaces-and-modules.html#ethernet-routed-port

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card