Views
Helpful
Replies

After upgrade - 3650 now requires Smart License

yleduc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

While diagnosing another issue, I noticed that during boot up some logs showed up mentioning that Smart Licensing had been turned on. After reading about our current version, it said that Smart Licensing is the only way to go from now. 

The questions I have are

• what happened to our permanent license that we had when we bought these switches?
  • When running the show license command, it says the switch is unregistered and in evaluation mode. What will happen after the evaluation deadline?
  • Is there a PLR (permanent license registration) license for the switches?
  • They are located on a private network without internet access. Why would anyone let their telecom equipment access the web? I guess they have not heard of LOG4J.
  • Is there a cost for those license? Haven't we already paid for those switches, license, and support?

For other Cisco products that uses Smart Licensing that I have seen, the License is really targeted to a specific product and the fact that Cisco's product line no longer last a long time - product tends to reach eol/eos very quickly nowadays. So saying that you will be able to reuse the license might be a bit overrated. 

Thanks for your time

1 Reply 1
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card