Views
Helpful
Replies

Allied Telesis VS Cisco 3700/3500/3800 Switch

Faisal Shabbir
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Members,

we are going to add POE switches for CCTV in the network initially it was decided that we will install Cisco 3500 or 3700 series switches but today my manager told me that the consultant has recommended to replace cisco with Allied Telesis X900 switches due to their low cost, now i don't want these telesis switches in the network since our environment is purely Cisco .

i have tried to find out a comparison sheet which tell me main difference between Cisco and telesis switches but could find anything which will edge Cisco over Allied Telesis ,  i  need some plus  points which will give edge to the cisco over telesis switches.

i am looking forward for your input as i have to submit my recommendation.

Regards,

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You've said the magic word:  CCTV. 

This will all boil down to a few things:  The brand/model of the CCTV cameras, the amount of CCTV units and the size/shape of your network. 

You know what is the make-or-break with CCTV?  QoS.  

I have seen some people who were sold CCTV that turned out to be lemons.  When you plug them the cameras to their switches, Juniper and Cisco, nothing works.  The images were coming down as pretty bad if not missing a lot of frames.  They played with QoS in the Cisco to no resolution.  In the end, they decided to keep the CCTV in a physically separate network.  The only thing that linked the main production network to the CCTV network was a console cable.  You can also use the switch Management port to do the same thing.  

The so-called "vendor support" or "after sales support" simply didn't exist:  Once the vendor and/or authorized reseller got their money, they disappeared into a deep black hole or their Out-Of-Office states that the entire office was on their way to the Caribbean (if you know what I mean).  Vendor wouldn't care less either.  They keep saying that their CCTV were lab tested in "extreme network condition".  What they won't tell you is that their lab is just a switch filled with CCTV cameras and not really a reflection of "real world environment". 

There could be good CCTV brands/models but you'll need to test them first.  If you want AT switches, then keep them separate because you don't know if there will be inter-interoperability issues with Cisco gear.  Keeping the CCTV network completely separate will also make troubleshooting a lot easier.  The vendor couldn't simply say, "it's your network" when the CCTV are living in their own separate switch and network.

you are write Leo reliability is the main difference but if you are trying explain this to a crook is it enough ??? 

ideally i would like to have some technical comparison side by side of these two vendors.

if you are trying explain this to a crook is it enough ??? 

Of course not.  

I don't have experience with AT appliances.  So I can't really say much.  I also don't know the layout of your network so I most definitely can't say anything. 

My post above have given you a "way out":  If management decides to go down AT appliances, then make sure they are totally separated from your network.  Otherwise, you'll be forever troubleshooting QoS issues between AT and Cisco appliances.  

Leo its not finalized that we will implement AT switches rather they are saying to have a look to this option due to its low pricing , as far as the network is concern only CCTV cameras will be terminated on these switches and we have separate vlan for CCTV

You need to prepare two scenarios then: 

1.  One scenario which will involve AT switches; or

2.  One scenario which will involve Cisco switches. 

If Cisco switches, then you'll need to think about configuring QoS or running the CCTV separate. 

If AT switches, then think about running this network completely separate.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cost is always a factor in any decision but the headline costs of the switches is only part of the consideration.

When you are faced with a cost comparison between switch A and switch B from different vendors it is important to look past the upfront costs and factor in the support costs as well. If your current infrastructure is Cisco then you have people with Cisco skills and this is an important factor.

You are the one that is going to have manage these switches not the consultant.

I have worked on large networks and from previous experience if we had always gone with the cheapest option we would have ended up with a lot of different vendor switches, each needing to be supported which would mean people having skills in that vendor.

And each having a different management platform etc.

In addition, as Leo mentions, with multiple vendors you often find them passing the buck between each other when there is a problem with your network.

That doesn't mean you have to buy everything from one vendor because there are times when a certain vendor's equipment has functionality that others don't and then the decision is fairly straightforward.

But what it does mean is if you have standardised on one vendor then you need a good reason to use another especially in something as important as your base infrastructure and upfront cost alone, although important, should not be the only factor in the decision.

I have never used AT switches so I can't so anything about them but one thing I would say in terms of support is that Cisco does really well in this regard not just with technical documentation but also with forums like these.

I am not trying to talk you into buying Cisco, that's not what these forums are for, but in the end based on what you need the switches for there may not be a good technical reason that points to one vendor or the other, so it will come down to other factors.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card