Views
Helpful
Replies

An IE2000 Dual Power Supply

walexharm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,
Do the two DC inputs of a Cisco IE2000 have to be connected to the same power supply? While DC-A and DC-B are not fully redundant, a previous employee's response (copied below) suggests that they are inputs to separate internal power supplies. Therefore, I believe connecting the same external power supply to DC-A and DC-B would still provide some level of redundancy... Thank you for your response.
Therefore, there are two separate power supplies.
It is possible to power the switch from a single source or from a dual source. It is the higher voltage power source that draws power from both power sources when both are operational. During a power outage, the switch remains powered by the other power source.
When a redundant power supply is configured, each power supply should be connected to an independent source of power. The external wiring or circuit breaker might trip if you fail to do this, leading to a total power outage.

6 Replies 6

Soichiro-Ono
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello.

As stated in HIG, when using DC-A and DC-B together, it is recommended to connect each to a different power source. It is possible to run them connected to the same power source, but what are the benefits worth doing? I don't think so.

If the power source connected to DC-A and DC-B fails, DC-A and DC-B will go down at the same time. It's just a waste of wiring. And the number of inspection points will increase unnecessarily.

The power terminal can work with only one connection, so follow the recommendations. DC-A and DC-B are used when connecting to different power sources.

Cisco IE 2000 Switch Hardware Installation Guide - Overview [Cisco Industrial Ethernet 2000 Series Switches] - Cisco

Regard,

If you found this post helpful, please give it Helphul.
If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
有用な回答だと思われる際には いいね! をクリックして頂けると幸いです。
回答があなたの問題を解決した場合、解決済みをクリックしてください。

sidshas03
Spotlight
Spotlight

Yes, the two DC inputs of a Cisco IE2000 switch can be connected to separate power supplies. While they are not fully redundant, they are inputs to separate internal power supplies, as you mentioned.

Connecting the same external power supply to both DC-A and DC-B inputs would still provide some level of redundancy, as the switch would continue to receive power from the other input in the event of a power outage or failure of one of the power supplies.

However, it is recommended to connect each power supply to an independent source of power to ensure maximum redundancy and avoid any potential issues with external wiring or circuit breakers tripping.

Hello.

Connecting the same external power supply to both DC-A and DC-B inputs would still provide some level of redundancy, as the switch would continue to receive power from the other input in the event of a power outage or failure of one of the power supplies.

Yes, it can be said that it is useful if we assume that the internal power supplies of DC-A and DC-B fail. It is the user's decision whether or not to connect DCA/B to the same power source for that purpose.

Hope it helps.

If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.

this statement in your reply is worrisome

"Connecting the same external power supply to both DC-A and DC-B inputs would still provide some level of redundancy, as the switch would continue to receive power from the other input in the event of a power outage or failure of one of the power supplies."

there's practically no benefit to doing this.  i would never recommend this.

maybe you intended to mean something other than what is written? 

Hello.

Yeh, maybe my expression is not appropriate. Overall, I also do not recommend connecting DC-A and DC-B to the same external source.

Soichiro-Ono
Spotlight
Spotlight

Found an old thread. What @walexharm wants to know here is about this. Still, for redundancy purposes, it's better to connect to different sources.

Solved: Re: IE2000 Dual Power Supply - Cisco Community

Regard,

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card