Views
Helpful
Replies

Another NOOB VLAN Question

angel-moon
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Everyone,

I am working on getting 2 older 2924 switches configured to play around with. I have some VLANs setup but had a few questions.

1) I have the switches connected on Fa0/24 on each switch. How do I configure them to allow the VLAN traffice to pass between each switch? Is Switchport mode trunk sufficient or do I need to make it part of a VLAN as well?

2) I can;t seem to assign an IP address to the switch itslef. Do I just assign an IP address to the management VLAN instead?

Thanks in advance! All replies rated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Try the following on both switches:

int fa0/24

switch trunk encaps dot1q

switch mode trunk

switch trunk allowed vlan add 1,2,3 or

2. This is a layer 2 switch, you the only address that you can have is the management address on vlan 1. You can change the management vlan, but for starters it's on vlan 1 and define a gateway if needed:

int vlan 1

ip address 192.168.1.2

ip default-gateway 192.168.1.1

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Try the following on both switches:

int fa0/24

switch trunk encaps dot1q

switch mode trunk

switch trunk allowed vlan add 1,2,3 or

2. This is a layer 2 switch, you the only address that you can have is the management address on vlan 1. You can change the management vlan, but for starters it's on vlan 1 and define a gateway if needed:

int vlan 1

ip address 192.168.1.2

ip default-gateway 192.168.1.1

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

xcz504d1114
Level 4
Level 4

Using "switchport mode trunk" is sufficient, depending on IOS and model, you might need to specify the trunk encapsulation first by using "switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q".

By default all VLAN's are allowed on a trunk port.

With a 2924, I believe only one VLAN can be active at a time, which is the management VLAN. You can change the management VLAN in the vlan configuration mode.

HTH,

Craig

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is just a small thing ... But you're dealing with the 2900XL/3500XL. So you need to create the VLANS in the VLAN Database in enable mode:

vlan database

vlan 2

exit

I agree, by default if you enable VLAN Trunking, ALL VLANS are allowed.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: