Views
Helpful
Replies

Archive Issue

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

If I have a network device sending a config to an scp server every time someone enters write mem and also once a day (1440) minutes, is the config being saved to the startup config when the network device sends a config to the SCP server once a day?

I'm thinking not. Which is bad because someone could make a change and not write mem. Then, on a reload the old config will come back.

Thanks, Pat.

2 Replies 2

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Pat,

I don't believe it will automatically write the config to startup after it's archived, but you can archive after doing a write mem. I'm going to lab this up to see if an idea I have will work....others may have a better suggestion, but in the meantime I'm doing the lab piece now...

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Pat,

Here's what I came up with. If you have an IOS that supports EEM, you may be able to use it.

event manager applet CopyIt

event timer cron cron-entry "0 0 * * *"

action 1.0 cli command "enable"

action 1.5 cli command "archive config"

action 2.0 cli command "write mem"

action 2.5 cli command "exit"

The crontab entry should run everyday at midnight. You can change this how you see fit. The archive config command uses the archive configuration on the router, so I was able to successfully archive the config and then it saves the config after archiving. You'll want to remove the "time-period" command from the archive configuration if you're using it (I'm assuming you are if you have it configured for every 24 hours).

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card