Views
Helpful
Replies

arp no response

smakodako
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Have a problem that I'm trying to understand and find the solution for. Maybe someone here can help?

As shown in the .pcap files, the problem is, that my switch isn't getting a arp reply when connected to my catalyst 6500.

When I connect the switch to a freeBSD firewall, I get a reply.

The switch isn't configured with an ip adress in either of the subnets used.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Kind regards Anders

2 Replies 2

James D Hensley
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Anders -

In looking at the two captures I see the ARP sender IP is 0.0.0.0.  There is a bug where we drop these packets if DAI is enabled.  The bug ID is CSCsg18176.

You can view the bug details here:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/action.do?hdnAction=searchBugs

While the bug was filed for the 3750 the DAI code was ported across multiple platforms including the 6500 so it is impacted and as far as I can tell a fix was never ported to the Cat6500 code train.  If you're hitting this bug and would like to find the status of getting this fixed on the 6500 please open a TAC case and request to have the fix ported over.

Hi James

Thanks for responding. I'm not able to view the status of DAI. I haven't enabled it myself, and according to this document (link below), it's disabled per default. I don't have the ability to turn it on. When trying to enter the command "(config)# ip arp inspection vlan xxx" I'm getting nowhere.

When entering "(config)# ip arp ?", the only option I have is "proxy"?!

I'm running 12.2(18)SXF16.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/dynarp.html#wp1072626

Kind regards Anders

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card