Views
Helpful
Replies

arp vs flooding

netanellevi2
Level 1
Level 1

i confuse what the diffrenrt between arp to flooding

for my understanding arp is layer 3 that use the distenation target with the ip address 255.255.255.255

and floding is layer 2 and he just flood the unicast message  with destination mac address ff:ff:ff:ff

if pc or router create arp message and athe arp message get in the switch,the arp message "force" the switch to do flooding if he dont know the destination mac address or just transferor the arp message without reading it because this brodcast ?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

thanks you,but i want to understand deeply for mt first question arp and flooding its diffrent think

i read when switch do flooding ,the flooding stop when he get the mac address and when arp do brodcast this message get for all the deveice in tne broadcast domain , this true ?

according to what u answered me on the secondary question when pc create arp message he send the message with destination of 255.255.255.255 to all the network the switch can not read this because he pass to all his port (except the port that get the message) and this message moved the second switch and to switch after.. until the message get all the deviece in the broadcast domain

but, if the switch do flooding ,the flooding can be stop on the second switch ( if he know the mac addres) brodcast send one message for all the deveice in one time ,flooding send messgae by steps.

according to this  the arp and flooding is diffrent think .arp is protocol and flooding is operation on the switch, i write ?

thanks you :)

View solution in original post

Broadcast traffic is as it is already established previously sending traffic to MAC address ffff.ffff.ffff (L2 broadcast) or to IP address 255.255.255.255 (L3 broadcast) or to subnet broadcast address (for example 192.168.0.255 for subnet 192.168.0.0/24 if default broadcast address is not changed).

In Windows hosts (I removed extra routes for simplicity):

C:\>route print

IPv4 Route Table
===========================================================================
Active Routes:
Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway            Interface     Metric
192.168.1.0             255.255.255.0         On-link         192.168.1.6    291
192.168.1.6            255.255.255.255      On-link         192.168.1.6    291
192.168.1.255        255.255.255.255      On-link         192.168.1.6    291
224.0.0.0                240.0.0.0                   On-link       192.168.1.6    291
255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link       192.168.1.6    291

Unicast flooding is happening in situation when switch receives frame with unknown destination MAC address (switch has no MAC address present in MAC address table (CAM table) on any port). Since switch has no idea where end host with specific MAC address is located frame will be sent to all ports in the same broadcast domain except the port where the frame is received. If switch receives return traffic from host that is receiver of traffic on any of its ports switch will learn direction in which host is located and unicast flooding will stop. From that moment all traffic destined to that host will be forwarded only to the port where destination MAC address is present in CAM table.

Typical scenarios that will cause unicast flooding can be found in article below.

For more details, please read article - Unicast Flooding in Switched Campus Networks

according to this  the arp and flooding is diffrent think .arp is protocol and flooding is operation on the switch, i write ?

Correct.

ARP is protocol used to resolve binding between known L3 address to its unknown L2 address.

Flooding is process typically performed by switch in which frames/packet are being sent to all ports (except the port where traffic was received) since destination host MAC address is currently not present in CAM table (for whatever the reason).

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

arp is the thing that establishes the relationship between the IP address and the mac address associated with that IP address. flooding has to do with sending something to lots of destinations.

So I would say that the difference is that arp is how you look for something and flooding is how you send something.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I want just underatand that when the pc create arp message and rhis message get in to the switch ,the switch do flooding  or do brodcast message to all his ports

And another question 

If i have pc1---sw---pc2

The two  pc arp table clean

The cam table of the switch know pc 1 and pc2. Pc1 do ping to pc2 ,pc1 create arp message because his arp table his clean,the arp get in the switch ,the switch do flooding or just pass the arp message to the port that connect the pc2 because he know in his cam table who is pc2 and what his mac addres ?

I think it may be helpful to clarify that we are talking about traditional switching which is the behavior of layer 2 switches (and of layer 3 switches when ip routing is not enabled). A layer 3 switch with routing enabled would act differently because it can act based on the layer 3 information in the frame .

When the PC creates an arp request it is sent as a local broadcast (the destination mac address is a broadcast address). When that arp request gets to the switch then the switch sends a copy of the frame to every port in the local vlan/local subnet (except for the port on which it was received).

In your second question the switch can not just forward the frame to pc 2. The switch does know the mac address of pc 2. But the switch does not know the IP address of pc 2 and therefore does not know that pc 2 is the one that should receive the arp request. Also remember that the arp request from pc 1 does not have pc 2 as the destination address. An arp request is addressed to every host in the local vlan.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

thanks you,but i want to understand deeply for mt first question arp and flooding its diffrent think

i read when switch do flooding ,the flooding stop when he get the mac address and when arp do brodcast this message get for all the deveice in tne broadcast domain , this true ?

according to what u answered me on the secondary question when pc create arp message he send the message with destination of 255.255.255.255 to all the network the switch can not read this because he pass to all his port (except the port that get the message) and this message moved the second switch and to switch after.. until the message get all the deviece in the broadcast domain

but, if the switch do flooding ,the flooding can be stop on the second switch ( if he know the mac addres) brodcast send one message for all the deveice in one time ,flooding send messgae by steps.

thanks you :)

Broadcast traffic is as it is already established previously sending traffic to MAC address ffff.ffff.ffff (L2 broadcast) or to IP address 255.255.255.255 (L3 broadcast) or to subnet broadcast address (for example 192.168.0.255 for subnet 192.168.0.0/24 if default broadcast address is not changed).

In Windows hosts (I removed extra routes for simplicity):

C:\>route print

IPv4 Route Table
Active Routes:
Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway            Interface     Metric
192.168.1.0             255.255.255.0         On-link         192.168.1.6    291
192.168.1.6            255.255.255.255      On-link         192.168.1.6    291
192.168.1.255        255.255.255.255      On-link         192.168.1.6    291
224.0.0.0                240.0.0.0                   On-link       192.168.1.6    291
255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link       192.168.1.6    291

Unicast flooding is happening in situation when switch receives frame with unknown destination MAC address (switch has no MAC address present in MAC address table (CAM table) on any port). Since switch has no idea where end host with specific MAC address is located frame will be sent to all ports in the same broadcast domain except the port where the frame is received. If switch receives return traffic from host that is receiver of traffic on any of its ports switch will learn direction in which host is located and unicast flooding will stop. From that moment all traffic destined to that host will be forwarded only to the port where destination MAC address is present in CAM table.

Typical scenarios that will cause unicast flooding can be found in article below.

For more details, please read article - Unicast Flooding in Switched Campus Networks

Correct.

ARP is protocol used to resolve binding between known L3 address to its unknown L2 address.

Flooding is process typically performed by switch in which frames/packet are being sent to all ports (except the port where traffic was received) since destination host MAC address is currently not present in CAM table (for whatever the reason).

I like several things in the response from Predrag and would like to emphasize them. I hope it is helpful to recognize that broadcast messages can be layer 3 broadcast or layer 2 broadcast (which is the focus in this discussion). It is also important to recognize that with broadcast we are dealing with something where we are intentionally sending something to every device in the broadcast domain. The destination address is ALL devices. In flooding we are dealing with a unicast destination address where the destination is really a single device. If the switch receives a frame with a unicast destination it will attempt to forward to that device. Only if there is not a matching address in the mac address table will the switch flood the frame to all ports in the vlan.

So the important distinction is whether the destination address is unicast or broadcast.

HTH

Rick 

HTH

Rick

according to what u answered me on the secondary question when pc create arp message he send the message with destination of 255.255.255.255

There is no L3 header in ARP request message.

ARP message is broadcasted to L2 br0adcast address of all Fs.

Source and Destination IP addresses are present only in ARP message (as it ca be seen in capture below), but IP addresses present in ARP request are from source and destination IP addresses of devices involved in process.

ARPpacket.JPG

Every device in broadcast domain will receive ARP and check if its IP address matches Target IP address in ARP request. Only device that matches target IP address in broadcast domain will respond to ARP message and send ARP reply informing requester about its MAC address.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
ARP is an IP protocol. Flooding is a generic term used for when frames or packets are sent "everywhere". Part of ARP floods, part does not.

Broadcasts flood, which is what both your L3 and L2 addresses do.

PIM-DM "floods" and then prunes. Unicast flooding is what happens when a switch doesh't have a unicast MAC in its MAC table. The reason I mention these two, both don't use a broadcast address.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card