Helpful
Replies

Auto Smartports - usable arguments

Sven Hruza
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

one more question about Auto Smartports:

I am searching for dynamic arguments I can use for my user-defined macros.

I know the following ones:

$LINKUP ; $INTERFACE ; $TRIGGER ; $ACCESS_VLAN ; $VOICE_VLAN

Are there some more arguments I can use?

For example I want to get the hostname from a CDP neighbor to configure a description with hostname of the neighbor.

Thanks a lot!

Sven

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ankugarg
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Sven,

Dynamic arguments like  $LINKUP ; $INTERFACE ; $TRIGGER are taken care automatically by ASP.

Like - INTERFACE is initilaized when a cdp  update is received on an interace, script is triggered, and ASP comes to know  the interafce

You can define more dynamic arguments,but you need to give the values of these arguments when mapping the macro using "macro auto execute.." command.

Arguments like $ACCESS_VLAN have some default values for well defined macros which you can see using command "sh macro auto device".

Dynamic updation of cdp neighbor hostname won't be possible.

Thanks,

Ankur

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

ankugarg
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Sven,

Dynamic arguments like  $LINKUP ; $INTERFACE ; $TRIGGER are taken care automatically by ASP.

Like - INTERFACE is initilaized when a cdp  update is received on an interace, script is triggered, and ASP comes to know  the interafce

You can define more dynamic arguments,but you need to give the values of these arguments when mapping the macro using "macro auto execute.." command.

Arguments like $ACCESS_VLAN have some default values for well defined macros which you can see using command "sh macro auto device".

Dynamic updation of cdp neighbor hostname won't be possible.

Thanks,

Ankur

ankugarg
Level 3
Level 3

Well,i meant they won't be dynamic after all,because you need to give   their values before hand :)..They will just be like $ACCESS_VLAN etc.

Thanks for your response!

It is not what I need, but okay ;-)

Yes....they are not dynamic. I never understood where the benefit is to have some arguments but need to give the values by hand.

Sven

Hi Sven,

Benefit will be like,you have some macro defined with access vlans,native vlans etc.You can change the values of these parameters without modifying your macro every time.You just need to change the values in the mapping.

Not a breakthru concept,but little ease of use ,since you were asking.

Thanks for your feedback.We will see if some more dynamic variables can be implemented.

-Ankur

Hi Ankur,

it would be great to decouple the macro from the config template.

At the moment I have to configure the macro

macro auto execute Testclient ACCESS_VLAN=123 VOICE_VLAN=127

and then the macro mode starts. It is not possible to change only the values for ACCESS and VOICE, right?

So I can't see the little benefit you mean

Better to use would be creating a config template with a name and in a second step you can map the macro with the arguments to the template.

So it would be possible to use the same config template more than one time per switch.

Maybe someday.....

Sven

Hi Sven,

Sorry for late reply

We have concept of remote macros,where you can put macro on the remote server,or flash etc...In those cases we can use the same config template more than one time per switch.

Well,you will argue that why such a functionality is not there on the regular macros defined on switch !!

The fact is it was tried to implement,but didn't get successful,so not advertised in config guide.You can define a functions in this way--

SWITCH3#function ankur () {

>blah

>}

SWITCH3#sh shell fun

SWITCH3#sh shell functions

#User defined functions:

function CISCO () {

if [[ $LINKUP -eq YES ]]; then

conf t

interface  $INTERFACE

macro description $TRIGGER

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan $NATIVE_VLAN

switchport trunk allowed vlan ALL

switchport mode trunk

}

function ankur () {

blah

}        

This will start showing up in "sh shell functions",but is not much usable for practical purposes.

Little weird for now,but thats how it is for present ..Will let you know if i get it working in some way.

Thanks,

-Ankur

Hi Ankur,

thanks a lot for your answer!

I searched for that "function" command, but didn't get it in the past!

I will now understand the structure of all the parts of ASP a little bit better

What do you think about the remote macros? Is it a useful feature or is it not as stable as to put the macros on every switch? If the ASPs are working well in our environment we want to use it on ca 3000 switches.

Sven

Hi Sven,

I wish it to be stable .

But now you are asking,check this bug - CSCtn94724...This was fixed in 55SE4...We have retries built in remote macro.If somehow,your remote server is not reachable,switch will keep on retrying to reach remote server,which was taking cpu util high..If remote server is reachable,everything will work fine.

If you are using 55SE4,then the former case should also be fine.

Thanks,

-Ankur

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card