Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Automating Proxy Server Settings in DHCP Scope On 877 ISRs

We have several hundred locations that have recently been given an open internet connection to allow product demos,

music, image and general multimedia downloads etc to be carried out in store. The problem is this is open to abuse

as it's the same as a home broadband, public internet, connection.

We are planning on using a Semantic / Message Labs product which is essentially a cloud based proxy server.

We cannot have each individual device manually set up to point at this proxy, so we need a way of including the proxy

details in the DHCP Scope. I am aware that there is an ASCII option 252 which allows for the proxy to be defined, but

haven't actually managed to get this working or seen it in action.

Another line of thought is the possibility of hosting a wpad.dat file on the local router, which I understand to be similar

to a proxy.pac file.

So if anyone can help out in this regard it would be much appreciated, not much hair left !

Thanks

Simon

1 Reply 1

AJ Cruz
Level 3
Level 3

I don't know anything about the DHCP scope or local proxy file, but if the proxy server can operate in "pass through" mode (I know its not really proxying at that point, but the end goal is reached), you could tunnel external traffic from the remote locations to the L3 segment the proxy is on, dump the traffic right in front of the proxy server so that it passes through it...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card