Views
Helpful
Replies

pagp submodes

irakla7777777
Level 1
Level 1

hi all.

I don't understand    difference between  pagp   silent and non-silent submodes.

I have read almost all forums and  Do not have enough  information.

Can anyone actually reply to me what's the difference between this

8 Replies 8

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Read the etherchannel section of the doc , probably the best explanation you will find on this.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_white_paper09186a00801b49a4.shtml#cg6

The silent/non-silent settings affect       how ports react to situations that cause unidirectional traffic. When a port is       unable to transmit because of a failed physical interface or a broken fiber or       cable, the neighbor port can still be left in an operational state. The partner       continues to transmit data. But, data are lost because return traffic cannot be       received. Spanning-tree loops can also form because of the unidirectional       nature of the link.

Some fiber ports have the desired capability to bring the port to a       nonoperational state when the port loses its receive signal (FEFI). This action       causes the partner port to become nonoperational and effectively causes the       ports at both ends of the link to go down.

When you use devices that transmit data (BPDUs), and you cannot detect       unidirectional conditions, use non-silent mode       in order to allow the ports to remain nonoperational until receive data are       present and the link is verified to be bidirectional. The time that it takes       PAgP to detect a unidirectional link is about 3.5 * 30 seconds = 105 sec.       Thirty seconds is the time between two successive PAgP messages. Use UDLD,       which is a more rapid detector of unidirectional links.

When you use devices that do not transmit any data, use       silent mode. Use of       silent mode forces the port to become connected       and operational, regardless of whether received data are present or not.       Additionally, for those ports that can detect the presence of a unidirectional       condition, silent mode is used by default.       Examples of these ports are newer platforms that use Layer 1 FEFI and       UDLD.

if i have two switches: sw1 and sw2

sw1 config is desireable silent mode,

sw2 config is  on mode ,

then sw2 do not transmits any data , but etherchannel can not form .

why ?

Glen,

Thanks a lot for the link! I have had troubles understanding the obscure difference between the two modes as well but the document seems to shed some light into the issue... actually more than I've been able to find so far!

Best regards,

Peter

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Found a link for you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst5000/catos/5.x/command/reference/set_po_r.html#wp1023462

silent
(Optional) Keyword to use with auto or desirable when no traffic is expected from the other device to prevent the link from being reported to STP as down.

non-silent
(Optional) Keyword to use with auto or desirable when traffic is expected from the other device.

regards,

Leo

What STP dangers are there when usung silent vs non-silent?

if i have two switches: sw1 and sw2

sw1 config is desireable silent mode,

sw2 config is  on mode ,

then sw2 do not transmits any data , but etherchannel can not form .

why ?

Anyone knows the answer

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card