Views
Helpful
Replies

autonegotiation changed on C3750V2 ?

gnijs
Level 4
Level 4

Hello all,

Has Cisco changed something on the way autonegotiation works in the new IOS ?? I feel like a dummie: i hooked up

two switches with a cross cable, configured one port in static 100 full duplex, the other one in autonegotiation and the

autoneg one negotiates to full duplex ? doh ? shouldn't it fallback to half duplex ? whats even more: if i change the static one to

half duplex, the autoneg one follows to half duplex ? seems like they are still both running autoneg

Switch A: 15.0(1)SE1, WS-C3750V2-48PS

Switch B: 12.2(53)SE, WS-C3750V2-48PS

Between the switches on port fa1/0/48 a CROSSED cable.

Port config on A:

interface FastEthernet1/0/48

no switchport

ip address 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

no mdix auto

no cdp enable

end

Por config on B:

interface FastEthernet1/0/48

no switchport

ip add 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

carrier-delay msec 0

speed 100

duplex full

no mdix auto

no cdp enable

exit

Result:

SWITCH A/ Fa1/0/48 routed     a-full  a-100 10/100BaseTX

SWITCH B: Fa1/0/48 routed       full    100 10/100BaseTX

???

Aren't there any certainties any more.....

4 Replies 4

gnijs
Level 4
Level 4

Ha...added "power inline never" to both ports and guess what:

Fa1/0/48  routed a-half a-100 10/100BaseTX

Since when does power influence autonegotiation ??

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

Pre-standard Cisco PoE also uses FLP for power detection.  This FLP power detection method might be "confused" as speed/duplex autonegotiation.

smogra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I was able to test this with 2 3750-E switches.  In this scenario I  am using port 1/0/48 on both switches.  The switches are called switch A  and switch B

When I set the duplex to full and speed to 100 on  switch B switch A's interface shows 100 Full

Here is the config and show  command for switch B

Switch-C#sh run in gi1/0/48
Building configuration...

Current  configuration : 63 bytes
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/48
speed  100
duplex full
end

Switch-B#sh int gi1/0/48

Keepalive  set (10 sec)
  Full-duplex,  100Mb/s, media type is 10/100/1000BaseTX
  input  flow-control is off, output flow-control is unsupported
  ARP type:  ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
  Last input 00:00:08, output 00:00:00,  output hang never

Switch A  config and show command

Switch-A#sh run int gi1/0/48
Building  configuration...

Current configuration : 63 bytes
!
interface  GigabitEthernet1/0/48
spanning-tree portfast
end

Switch-A#

Switch-A#sh  interfaces gi1/0/48

Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
  Keepalive set (10 sec)
Full-duplex, 100Mb/s, media  type is 10/100/1000BaseTX
  input flow-control is  off, output flow-control is unsupported
  ARP type: ARPA, ARP  Timeout 04:00:00

When auto-negotiation is disabled on one switchport the switch at the  other end of the link can use the Parallel detection function to  determine the speed. Put simply the switch does not negotiate the speed  with the other switch but it can still work it out.

However what  it cannot work out without auto-negotiation is the duplex. Now as far  as i know 10/100 ethernet interfaces default to half-duplex and gigabit  interfaces default to full duplex. So you could interprete this to mean  the port would set itself to 100 Full because of it's default setting is  gigabit.

Follow this discussion for further explanation:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2018138

Hope that helps.

--Sweta

Please rate useful posts.

smogra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No sure about 3750v2 but Catalyst 3560v2 behave differently: if you configure both speed and  duplex statically on a port, the autonegotiation  will not be  deactivated but will advertise only a single capability including the  preconfigured speed and duplex .This is actually more intuitive  and natural behavior but obviously, this is not supported on older  switches. Probably it depends on the PHY controllers used in Catalyst  switches and they seem to be different between various Catalyst  platforms.

This all makes the  autonegotiation and all exceptions around it a most cumbersome topic -  so my recommendation usually is that either both ends of a link are set  to autonegotiation with no static settings, or both speed and duplex are  set statically on both link ends. The behavior of autonegotiation on  Catalyst switches is not well documented and is obviously platform and  version dependent, making it quite hard to remember.

-Sweta

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card