cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup Bandwidth Restriction

johnhuston
Level 1
Level 1

I want to restrict the amount of bandwidth that is being consumed by our backup between two servers.  We have a server that is connected to switch A that is at 10.1.1.1 that is going accross our network to 10.2.1.1.  How do I put something in our routed network that will restrict the bandwidth between these two IP's.  I am assuming this a police statement and could be applied on the outbound switchport.

Thank you in advance for your help.               

7 Replies 7

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

Is this a LAN or is this happening over the WAN?  Also is this a private network?  Because if you limit the bandwidth then it will apply to it period all the time.

It is going accross the LAN.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Police statement could be one way to do it.  Generally you want to police as close to the source as possible, ideally the sending host's ingress port.

An alternative approach is to have active QoS that prioritizes traffic differently.  For sometime like a backup traffic, you could allow it all available bandwidth, but with minimum priority.

Do you have a suggestion on how to write the code for this?

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Do you have a suggestion on how to write the code for this?

I, or others, might be able to suggest something, but we would need to know the exact device kind and, if a router, its IOS version.

Also a brief network topology with IP's would be helpful.  I'm curious if it is happening over LAN and backups usually happen at night why do you want to limit the bandwidth?  It will take longer for the backup to complete.

Here's what I came up with.  See any problems?

3750G# config t

3750G(config)# ip access-list extended TO_BACKUP_SERVER

3750G(config-ext-nacl)# permit ip host 10.1.1.1 host 10.2.1.1.

3750G(config-ext-nacl)# exit

3750G(config)# class-map tcp

3750G(config-cmap)# match access-group TO_BACKUP_SERVER

3750G(config-cmap)# exit

3750G(config)# policy-map LIMIT

3750G(config-pmap)# class tcp

3750G(config-pmap-c)# police 100000000 8000 exceed-action drop

3750G(config)# interface vlan 1

3750G(config-if)# service-policy input LIMIT

For the Return traffic

2950# config t

2950(config)# ip access-list extended TO_MAIN_SERVER