cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth limitation

michel1
Level 1
Level 1
  1. Bandwidth limitation problems from layer 1 equipment and cabling            
    1. Migration from 1 to 10 Mbps for workstations
    2. Migration from 10 to 100 Mbps for horizontal cables
    3. Migration to greater than 100 Mbps for vertical cables

please help how can i solve this problem?

the project run cat6 cable and fiber multimode for vertical cable but how i can know if the switch support for 100Mbps 

Thank you very much

11 Replies 11

Hello,

not really sure what you are asking. Cat5e/6/6a/7 all support 100MB, and as far as I know there are not even switches around anymore that do not support 100MB. Which switch model are you trying to install ?

Hello Mr. Georg,

Since this network implementation will have to continue to be functional for a minimum of 7-10 years, all design considerations should include a minimum of 100x (times) growth in the LAN throughput, 2x (times) growth in the WAN core throughput, and 10x (times) growth in the District Internet Connection throughput. The minimum requirement for initial implementation design will be 1.0 Mbps to any host computer in the network and 100 Mbps to any server host in the network. Only two OSI layer 3&4 protocols will be allowed to be implemented in this network, they are TCP/IP and Novell IPX.

it's TCS case study if here about it

forgive me too i don't understand the teacher he want to detect the problem and find one solution and best solution

i ask him he told me i have to find if the switch support the higher bandwidth how can i find that

Any switch supports 100MB, most have 1GB uplinks. You need to ask your teacher which switch model he os referring to I guess...

Is this some sort of exam question ? If so, can you post the full question ?

no it's not exam question it's project 

I am free to pick any switch

The problem is the Cat5 UTP cable. It does not allow for growth, as it doesn't support GigabitEthernet or TenGigabitEthernet. You need Cat 6A or 7.

My friend he told us the document is old and we should run cat6 from the biging and we should use fiber optic between vertical but i have to find the correct switch model that support these speed

My friend he told us the document is old and we should run cat6 from the biging and we should use fiber optic between vertical but i have to find the correct switch model that support these speed

Hello,

plenty of models have GigabitEthernet and fiber uplink ports. If you need to chose one, the WS-C3850-12X48U-L would be an option. It has optional 40G ports even...

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/models-comparison.html

thank you so much

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card