Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth percentage for nested policy maps

rtjensen4
Level 4
Level 4

Hey All,

I'm trying wrap my head around bandwidth guarantee for nested maps. I tried adding a new class to two of my policy-maps today, and got this error:

3945E-1(config-pmap-c)#bandwidth 3000

Insufficient bandwidth 3000 kbps for the bandwidth guarantee

I'm not sure how it knows that with the nested maps and how it's computed. I have a 100mb WAN connectin going to 19 branches.

I have a class-map that identifies traffic to the individual branch and within that class, a policy-map is applied to prioritize voice over video etc.

Here's the QoS setup:

class-map Branch1-Policy

match access-group branch-1-acl

class-map Branch-19-Policy

match access-group branch-19-acl

!

!

policy-map Global-branch

class class-default

shape average 100000000

service-policy Branches-NLAN

!

!

policy-map Branches-NLAN

class Branch-1 Policy

shape average 10000000

service-policy Traffic-10calls

class Branch-19 Policy

shape average 3000000

service-policy Traffic-6calls

!

!

policy-map Traffic-10calls

class VoIP-Control

bandwidth 16

set dscp cs3

class VoIP-Voice

priority 880

set dscp ef

class Symitar

bandwidth 64

set dscp af21

class Video-Conf

set dscp af41

bandwidth 1500

class class-default

fair-queue

queue-limit 128 packets

policy-map Traffic-6calls

class VoIP-Control

bandwidth 16

set dscp cs3

class VoIP-Voice

priority 512

set dscp ef

class Symitar

bandwidth 64

set dscp af21

class Video-Conf

set dscp af41

bandwidth 1500

class class-default

fair-queue

queue-limit 128 packets

I was adding the Video-Conf class to both Traffic-6calls and Traffic-10calls when I got the above error.  How would that percentage be calculated? I know by default i can only reserve up to 75% of interface bandwidth.

The platform is 3945E running 15.1(3)

Can someone clarify for me? Thanks!

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It's likely your version of IOS will show what it believes each class's bandwidth allocation is.  Of interest is your class-default, where you haven't defined any bandwidth.  (NB: the 75% rule, I think to which you refer, is pre-HQF.)  Don't recall what your IOS version will allocate for class-default, but assume whatever it is, it, along with all your explicitly (non-%) class allocation is exceeding parent shaper's bandwidth allocation.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card