Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth reservation per switch port

codflanglers
Level 1
Level 1

Morning

I have a need to restrict data to 95mb of bandwidth and reserve the remaining 5mb for voip traffic per 100mb switch port.

There seem to be a number of methods, but what's the best way to do this? I get I would need to match dscp ef to Voice class-map, but not sure how to reserve 5mb of bandwidth (I guess this is more than adequate for voice calls on a 100mb switch port) and leave the rest to data?

I was working on something like below...any better suggestions?

class-map Voice

match ip dscp ef

policy-map VOIP-RESERVE

class Voice

police 5000000 50000 exceed-action (I want to transmit here but that's not an option)

class class-default

police 95000000 950000 exceed-action drop

service-policy input VOIP-RESERVE

1 Reply 1

Markus Benz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I don't think you need to traffic shape default-traffic to 95 Mbps.
If you configure QoS it is enough to assign a voice class that prefers Voice (EF) over default traffic (DSCP 0).

So VoIP would always be preferred over other traffic and is sent into the EF queue.

You should also look into buffer configuration.
If you enable QoS your buffer is sliced into pieces. and if you only use default and EF, you waste a lot of interface buffers.

Use sh mls qos queue-set to check what your current allocation is.

You should configure something like 20% to the EF queue and 80% to the default queue.
Also make sure you mark everything that is not EF to DSCP 0 to avoid traffic with non conform marking is sent into 0% buffers.

Regards,
Markus

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card