cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Way to Segment network

LMADAdmin
Level 1
Level 1

We have a requirement to segment our network into two sections. Unfortunately, I will have servers on both sides and need to back them up but only one back up server. I also have a 5510 w/ 4 ports.

Current plan looks at using VLANs and hanging all them off of one port. Another way would be to place one segment off of one port and one off another and let the ASA handle the inter-segment traffic. Which is better? Are there less obvious draw-backs to either?

Thanks for any help!

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

LMADAdmin wrote:

We have a requirement to segment our network into two sections. Unfortunately, I will have servers on both sides and need to back them up but only one back up server. I also have a 5510 w/ 4 ports.

Current plan looks at using VLANs and hanging all them off of one port. Another way would be to place one segment off of one port and one off another and let the ASA handle the inter-segment traffic. Which is better? Are there less obvious draw-backs to either?

Thanks for any help!

Roger

As in previous post, a L3 switch is better.

If you can't have that using separate ports. If you subinterface the same port then obviously the bandwidth available per vlan is not the full bandwidth of the port.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card