cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP 2 exit points

illusion_rox
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, i have an AS that contains 2 exit points to other AS, they are Exit1 and Exit2. they both are connected to a router named Core inside their AS. Core router is then connected to 4 other routers named R1, R2, R3, R4 respectively. Now i want such policy that R1 and R2 should have Exit1 as a primary exit point and for R3 and R4 Exit2 should be the exit point. can some1 tell me the simplest configuration required to meet this task ?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ovais,

This is a bit tricky as there is the Core router in the middle and if you run BGP on this router the decision for any given path will be the same for all of R1, R2, R3 and R4.

One way to address this would be to add an MPLS layer and not run BGP on the core router. This way each one of the internal routers could make it own decision (based on a higher local preference to the preferred exit point) and then the path to the respective exit point would be via an MPLS LSP.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ovais,

This is a bit tricky as there is the Core router in the middle and if you run BGP on this router the decision for any given path will be the same for all of R1, R2, R3 and R4.

One way to address this would be to add an MPLS layer and not run BGP on the core router. This way each one of the internal routers could make it own decision (based on a higher local preference to the preferred exit point) and then the path to the respective exit point would be via an MPLS LSP.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600