Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP loadbalance between eBGP and iBGP learned routes

HUBERT RESCH
Level 3
Level 3

Following scenario:

I have two edge-router A and B on one site which both run eBGP to the same ISP and iBGP between them.

Router A is learning prefixes from its direct connected eBGP neighbor AND from his iBGP neighbor B, but is only installing

the Routes learned via eBGP in the routing-table. (eBGP prefered over iBGP)

Now I want to laodbalance outgoing traffic to both links. I dont have any other routing devices on the edge-site.

All outgoing traffic is first hitting Router A (because this is HSRP active Router, and has to be for all subnets on this site). Because Router A has only the route via its direct connected eBGP neighbor in its routingtable its only using this link, uplink on router B does not carry any outgoing traffic in this case.

Is there any idea how to achive this except to change AD if iBGP to the same value eBGP has (20), which is not recommended

Thx

4 Replies 4

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

PFR can be used as an easy method to load-balance the traffic without changing BGP parameters.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8353

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6554/ps6599/ps8787/product_data_sheet0900aecd806c4ee4.html

HTH,

-amt singh

Hi amit, yes I know PfR, I am just looking for an easier way to achieve it

(and also for a cheaper, As I know for PfR you ll need DATA-License)

KR

Hubert

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

what about asking your ISP to enable another BGP peering to the other router (eBGP multihop through your second router)?

If you succeed to have eBGP sessions to both ISP routers, you might get prefixes with the same attributes from them and start load balancing your outgoing traffic possibly?

HTH,

Milan

Hi Milan, might be an idea, I ll test it.

KR

Hubert

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card