cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Blocking all ipv6 traffic

Joel Fox
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning -  I have an issue that has happened twice - and I need some advice.  I have a 4506 running version 12.2(46)SG. We recently encountered an issue where I BELIEVE the issue to be IPV6 sending out a broadcast storm, and completely flooded the core switch  - bad enough that I couldn't even console into the device.  After removing all connections that were plugged in when the switch went down.  After everything was back up, we found that it was a laptop with ipv6 enabled - exactly the same scenario as last time.  What we found after the first incident was that a faulty NIC driver caused the ipv6 broadcast storm.

At any rate, as we do not use IPv6 for anything at all, I want to block all IPv6 traffic.  I know there are different ways to do it, but I'm reaching out to see what ideas you may have also...

Thx in advance for any input!

1 Reply 1

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Joel,

If VACLs with IPv6 ACLs are supported on your platform then I would probably use VACLs, as they allow a filter to be applied flatly to the entire VLAN. Your other option would be to configure per-port ACLs which is cumbersome and bloats the configuration unnecessary.

With IPv6 ACLs, be sure to block ICMPv6 explicitly. As far as I remember, some ICMPv6 messages are allowed even if they are not explicitly permitted in the ACL (usually the RD and ND messaging).

If your platform allowed filtering all incoming packets by MAC ACLs, yet another way would be to use VACLs with MAC ACLs, blocking all traffic with the EtherType of 0x86DD. However, newer platforms apply MAC ACLs only to non-IP traffic so they would have no effect on frames carrying IPv6 packets. You need to consult the documentation to your device.

In any way, VACLs would be my personal preferred choice at this point.

Best regards,
Peter

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card