Views
Helpful
Replies

Blocking Broadcast in network

jeevan.koganti
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am using 1841 LAN router. Recently some broadcast is happening in our network when some users are connected. I need to block them automatically by detecting who are they.

I can block them manually but i want router to detect them and block.

Is there any steps to be followed..Please guide me.

Thanks,

Jeevan.                

4 Replies 4

singhaam007
Level 3
Level 3

hello Jeenan

you can configure broadcast storm-control on each user interface and then it will automatically shutdown the interface if there is any broad cast

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2950/software/release/12.1_22ea/SCG/swtrafc.html

please rate if this helps.

thanks

Hi,

storm-control is a switch feature not a router feature.

But it will not block the broadcast from certain hosts but all broadcasts once the threshold is reached and will permit all broadcasts again once the traffic is under threshold.You'll have to find the correct value for this threshold if you don't want

to trigger it too soon( don't forget that broadcast in IPv4 is used intensively: ARP, DHCP,NETBIOS,...).

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi Alain,

If only I can catch you on a chat platform for a quick conversation.

Back to this question, since  ARP, DHCP use broadcast method, I guess it's not advisable to block broadcast on the network, but i guess there is a way to limit large files download, yet allowing exception to some nodes where applicable.

Cheers

Hi,

I am using 2950 Cisco switches in IT datacenter and unmanageable Dlink switches in the workstations..

I am getting loop in the network if i am conecting to the network.. i cannot manually go and check instead is there any feature to block loop automatically using Cisco switches and routers..

Thanks,

Jeevan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card