Views
Helpful
Replies

boot statement on cisco 3560X switch

sundaraneedimn
Level 1
Level 1

HI ,

I am using the cisco 3560X series of switches with the IOS ver c3560e-universalk9-mz.150-2.SE.bin.

I issued the command boot system flash:c3560e-universalk9-mz.150-2.SE.bin in running config and saved.

But when I re-check the running config I don't see the boot statement and our AAA server detect as "No boot statement configured".

Request some to help me in this regard.

--------------------------------------------------------------

swi-3#     sh ver
Cisco IOS Software, C3560E Software (C3560E-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.0(2)SE, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2012 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Fri 27-Jul-12 23:45 by prod_rel_team

ROM: Bootstrap program is C3560E boot loader
BOOTLDR: C3560E Boot Loader (C3560X-HBOOT-M) Version 12.2(53r)SE2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

swi-3 uptime is 39 weeks, 4 days, 22 hours, 26 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System restarted at 12:06:52 UTC Sat Aug 9 2014
System image file is "flash:c3560e-universalk9-mz.150-2.SE.bin"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
export@cisco.com.

License Level: ipbase
License Type: Permanent
Next reload license Level: ipbase

cisco WS-C3560X-48P (PowerPC405) processor (revision A0) with 262144K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FDO1715Z1TS
Last reset from power-on
2 Virtual Ethernet interfaces
1 FastEthernet interface
52 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
2 Ten Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.

512K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
Base ethernet MAC Address       : BC:16:65:F7:18:80
Motherboard assembly number     : 73-12557-08
Motherboard serial number       : FDO17150N5Q
Model revision number           : A0
Motherboard revision number     : A0
Model number                    : WS-C3560X-48P-S
Daughterboard assembly number   : 800-32786-02
Daughterboard serial number     : FDO17150G25
System serial number            : FDO1715Z1TS
Top Assembly Part Number        : 800-31328-07
Top Assembly Revision Number    : B0
Version ID                      : V04
CLEI Code Number                : COMJP00ARD
Hardware Board Revision Number  : 0x04

Switch Ports Model              SW Version            SW Image
------ ----- -----              ----------            ----------
*    1 54    WS-C3560X-48P      15.0(2)SE             C3560E-UNIVERSALK9-M

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have a couple of comments which I hope may be helpful.

I am not clear from this post whether there is some real problem you are trying to solve or whether things are working ok but not configured as you expected. Can you clarify?

Why are you entering a boot system command specifying the version of code that the switch is already booted and running?

I believe that many of the Catalyst switches use a different mechanism to control what code to execute at startup. Is the command show bootvar supported on this switch? If so can you post the output of that command?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

HI Richard,

Yes, you are right I don't have any issue with out having boot statement in the running config since it running correct code.As I sed my AAA server is keep on sending the alerts stating "Boot Command is missing".So I just thought of checking with the experts to fix it.No the command "show bootvar" is not supported.

Hope I answered you comments.

Regds

SMN

SMN

Thank you for the clarification. So the issue is really not so much about the switch as it is about the AAA server. From my perspective the person who set that up in the AAA server went a bit to far in generating an error message if there is no boot system statement in the configuration. Perhaps your organization has a policy that device configuration should contain a boot system statement and that is the basis of the error message?

In most IOS routers the boot system statement is optional and is needed only when there is more than one copy of the image file in flash and you want to control the order in which the router will attempt to boot them. And as you have discovered there are some switches in which the command  does not show up in the running config, even if you have executed the command.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

hi,

it's show boot NOT show bootvar

you won't see the boot system flash:<IOS> on your running-config since it's already using the default boot image.

IOS usually won't display anything that's in default.

see a similar output on one of our 3560X switch.

#sh run | i boot
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker

#sh ve | i IOS
Cisco IOS Software, C3560E Software (C3560E-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.0(2)SE2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

System image file is "flash:c3560e-universalk9-mz.150-2.SE.bin" - See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12507206/boot-statement-cisco-3560x-switch#sthash.PrJf6TeM.dpuf
System image file is "flash:c3560e-universalk9-mz.150-2.SE.bin" - See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12507206/boot-statement-cisco-3560x-switch#sthash.PrJf6TeM.dpuf

#sh boot?
boot  

#sh boot ?
  |  Output modifiers
  <cr>

#sh boot
BOOT path-list      : flash:/c3560e-universalk9-mz.150-2.SE2/c3560e-universalk9-mz.150-2.SE2.bin
Config file         : flash:/config.text
Private Config file : flash:/private-config.text
Enable Break        : no
Manual Boot         : no
HELPER path-list    :
Auto upgrade        : yes
Auto upgrade path   :
NVRAM/Config file
      buffer size:   524288
Timeout for Config
          Download:    0 seconds
Config Download
       via DHCP:       disabled (next boot: disabled)

- edit: CSC has some issues with their copy/paste thing (making it look messy). i hope they would fix it soon.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The switches saves it in a special boot variable.  Use the show boot command to see it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card