Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

boot system flash bootflash vs boot system bootflash

Hi , may I know on a ASR 1004 router or something similar, I do see people using this command to set the boot path to point to the IOS.

boot system flash bootflash:"name of IOS"

Is there a need for this word "flash"(highlighted) instead of  boot system bootflash:"name of IOS" because when I do a "dir" command,  the IOS is under the bootflash only. 'Flash' doesn't exist at all.

And this command = boot system bootflash:"name of IOS" works in my lab device too,  I am curious do we really have to add the word "flash" in this command ?

Thanks,

Desmond

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
VIP Expert

Re: boot system flash bootflash vs boot system bootflash

Hi,

If the IOS is located on the flash, the correct statement for the ASR series router is this:

example:

boot system flash bootflash/asr1002x-universalk9.16.03.05.SPA.bin

If you don't use flash, the router will ask you to point to another device ( a tftp or ftp server for examples) to download the image from. 

HTH

Highlighted
Vi2 Beginner
Beginner

Re: boot system flash bootflash vs boot system bootflash

Desmond,

You do not have to use flash in front of bootflash if the file actually resides in bootflash. So boot system bootflash:"name of IOS" is fine.  Another example of this can be located in the link below.  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/16_xe/Denali-16-3-migration-guide-for-access-and-edge-routers.html

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad