Views
Helpful
Replies

Break a stack on Cisco 1000 switches?

SolidProfession
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

We have five Cisco 1000 switches here, and they're currently stacked in a stack of five switches. I'm not entirely sure how we remove that configuration?

Is it a case of that it'll just "break" once we take the relevant cables out? Or is it a case, of having to somehow unprovision it? I'm guessing there's a "master" switch somewhere too? 

After breaking the stack, I'd actually want to have two in one stack, and three can be stand alone switches. The reason for this, is because atm, we have way too many switches for the amount of staff we have. So, if we have two switches, that's more than the amount we require, and then we can replace something in another site with a couple more (in a stack), and have one spare.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You remove the config, on stack, once you Turn off the devices and removed the stack cables,(make sure close the stack ring cables)

since you rebooting the stack, good to power off that time  and adjust  the stack cable and removing switches (since you got downtime, to be safe)

On remove standalone switch, Power on connecting console., once switch booted - wr erase , change the switch numbering example :

On switch 3-   switch 3 renumber 1  - Write the config and reload and config as per the requirement.

On switch 4-   switch 4 renumber 1  - Write the config and reload and config as per the requirement.

On switch 5-   switch 5 renumber 1  - Write the config and reload and config as per the requirement.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You would have to un-provision the switches you want to convert to standalone.

Here is an example and the link to the relevant documentation.

To convert a single IP-managed port into a network port, run the no switch switch-number hstack-port stack-port command:
Device(config)# no switch 1 hstack-port 1 GigabitEthernet 1/0/9 Device# copy running-config startup-config Device# reload

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst1000/software/releases/15_2_7_e/configuration_guides/stacking/b_1527e_single_ip_management_c1000_cg.html 

HTH

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you like to re-arrange the stack to make a new stack with different numbers in the stack and the rest all to be standalone.

You can do-follow.

1. Leave the Master and Slave switch as part of the stack, (until you like to break and make fresh config)

2. Turn off rest all the device which is not required to be part of the stack.

3. Remove stack cables from the switches you have turned off. (if you like to move to a different location)

- unrack and move the kit.

-  Connect stack cabled on the stack switch to Close the stack ring

4. Connect to each device console cable, use write erase to make default switch, renumber switch X renumber 1

BB

Would I not need to do any config for that?

I'd have to do a write erase on the entire stack too?

No you do not need to (until you like to build from scratch) you do write erase only the one you like to remove from the stack.

You need to configure the standalone switches based on the configuration requirement, List uplink trunk, and access ports.

On the stack, you can remove provision switches config, remove those lines only. and write config, initially, it complains when you issue show switch - if you reload it will be ok.

Hope this make sense ?

BB

Ahh:

This is the current config:

switch#sh run | i provision
switch 1 provision c1000-48p-4x-l
switch 2 provision c1000-48p-4x-l
switch 3 provision c1000-48p-4x-l
switch 4 provision c1000-48p-4x-l
switch 5 provision c1000-48p-4x-l
switch#

Essentially, I do this:

conf t
no switch 3 provision c1000-48p-4x-l
no switch 4 provision c1000-48p-4x-l
no switch 5 provision c1000-48p-4x-l

do wr

reload

switch#

And then manually connect to the other three switches, and do a wr erase on those?

You remove the config, on stack, once you Turn off the devices and removed the stack cables,(make sure close the stack ring cables)

since you rebooting the stack, good to power off that time  and adjust  the stack cable and removing switches (since you got downtime, to be safe)

On remove standalone switch, Power on connecting console., once switch booted - wr erase , change the switch numbering example :

On switch 3-   switch 3 renumber 1  - Write the config and reload and config as per the requirement.

On switch 4-   switch 4 renumber 1  - Write the config and reload and config as per the requirement.

On switch 5-   switch 5 renumber 1  - Write the config and reload and config as per the requirement.

BB

THanks,

Why would you write switch 3 renumber 1 on switches 4 and 5? Or was that just a copy/paste error?

Corrected now. !!! Cheers  !

BB

Thanks. 

I take it, I do this:

switch#sh run | i provision
switch 1 provision c1000-48p-4x-l
switch 2 provision c1000-48p-4x-l
switch 3 provision c1000-48p-4x-l
switch 4 provision c1000-48p-4x-l
switch 5 provision c1000-48p-4x-l