Views
Helpful
Replies

Breaking a 3750X stack

cindy.palmer
Level 1
Level 1

Current configuration:
    Core:  3750 (stack of 4) connected to router (via port-channel), catalyst switch (via port-channel), firewalls and Nexus (via fiber port-channel)

Have a new location within the data center, so need to break the 3750 stack (retire 3rd & 4th switches) and move 1st and 2nd switches to new cage.

Plan:
    Shutdown ports connected from 3750x (3 &4) to the Nexus 1 & 2 on both the 3750Xs and the N93128TXs
    Shutdown 3750X 3 & 4 switches
    Remove stack cabling for the 3rd and 4th switches.
    Close the stack ring.  Switch1-> 2 and switch 2 -> 1
    On 3750X - remove provisioning for switches 3 & 4 (no switch [#] provision [model name])

Now, here's the question.  Once I shutdown the fiber ports on the 3750s and N93128TXs, can i remove the fiber pairs from the fiber tray, or have I missed a step?

THANKS!

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Now, here's the question.  Once I shutdown the fiber ports on the 3750s and N93128TXs, can i remove the fiber pairs from the fiber tray, or have I missed a step?

Once you disconnect the ports, you can remove the fiber cables if they go directly between the 2 switches and don't use any patch panels.

HTH

FANTASTIC.
Just wanted to make sure. Enough moving parts in this exercise.
Cindy

Glad to help, Cindy. Yes, you can defiantly reuse the cable if it is direct connect.

Good luck with your project.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card