Views
Helpful
Replies

C2960X-24TD-L

MJ666
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning,

On a Switch C2960X-24TD-L (UNIVERSALK9-M)(Boot loader C2960X), following a configuration error, I can no longer access the console in privilege mode.
The only account available only allows me to access in user mode.
I can't make any write changes with this account (I can't run #show run).
Any clue?

5 Replies 5

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @MJ666 

If you have physical access to the switch, you can try performing a password recovery procedure. This typically involves interrupting the boot sequence, entering ROMMON mode, and then changing the configuration register to bypass the startup configuration....

Alternatively, if the switch has IP connectivity and SSH or Telnet access enabled, you may be able to access privileged mode using one of these methods. Ensure you have the necessary credentials for remote access.

As a last resort, you can perform a factory reset on the switch. This will erase the startup configuration and restore the switch to its default settings, including any privileged access configurations. However, be cautious as this will also erase all other configurations on the switch.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello @MJ666 ,

if you didn't save the configuration, just reboot the switch and you are back prior to the configuration change that caused the problem.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

alptechexpert
Level 1
Level 1

If you are unable to access the console in privilege mode on a Cisco C2960X-24TD-L switch, it is likely due to an authentication, authorization, and accounting (AAA) configuration that is applied to the vty ports but not the console port. To resolve this issue, you need to configure the console port for AAA as well. Here's how you can do it:

1. Enter global configuration mode by typing `configure terminal`.
2. Configure the console port for AAA by adding the following lines:
```
line console 0
login local
exit
```
These commands ensure that the console port is configured for local authentication, allowing you to log in without needing to enter a remote username and password.

After making these changes, you should be able to access the console in privilege mode. Remember to test your configuration to ensure that it works as expected.

Richard Pidcock
Level 1
Level 1

I'd probably opt of a password recovery as suggested by M02@rt37 .  or hopefully the problem config was not saved, in that case, yes just reload the switch and you should be back.

Richard W. Pidcock

I agree that the first alternative should be to power cycle the switch and see if the config error is removed. If that is not successful then perhaps password recovery procedure is needed. But before you do that I have another thought: you describe problems accessing privilege mode on console, what about access to privilege mode when remote access to the vty ports? If that works you should be able to connect the configuration error.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card