Views
Helpful
Replies

C4507 Supervisor Engine Replacement

chong.eric
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to replace WS-X45-SUP7-E with  WS-X45-SUP8-E in C4507.  There is only a single sup in C4507.  I wanted to minimise the downtime. I was thinking if i could slot it the WS-X45-SUP8-E in slot 4 and failover to become active.  

Is that possible?

8 Replies 8

Hi @chong.eric 

What is exactly your chasis model?

Chassis slot restrictions

• Catalyst 4503-E: Slot 1 only
  • Catalyst 4506-E: Slot 1 only
  • Catalyst 4507R+E: Slot 3 and slot 4 (redundant supervisor engines supported)
  • Catalyst 4510R+E: Slot 5 and slot 6 (redundant supervisor engines supported)
  • Catalyst 4507R-E 1 : Slot 3 and 4 (redundant supervisor engines supported)
  • Catalyst 4510R-E: Slot 5 and 6 (redundant supervisor engines supported)

1.The Cisco Catalyst 4507R-E Switch supports Supervisor Engine 8-E only on chassis that have hardware revision 2.0 or higher. Contact your Cisco customer service representative for more information.

Catalyst 4507R+E: Slot 3 and slot 4 (redundant supervisor engines supported)

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hmm, an interesting question.

Besides the chassis issue @Flavio Miranda raises, I highly doubt you could fail-over sup7 to a sup8.  I.e., if you're hoping to achieve the cut over speed to warm stand-by, likely it's impossible.

However, might you have the sup8, in the chassis and boot into it faster, don't know, such as perhaps even avoiding a full power cycle.

I'm wondering if you pull the sup7, or if you can power down its slot, you might have the same impact as if the sup8 was another sup7, but with a different IOS.  Of course, how do you plan to get a copy of the existing config on the sup8 if it's not a warm standby?

You might want to allow for multi hour outage.

if fail-over sup7 to sup8 is not possible, then  I plan to have 2 hours downtime to swap sup7 with sup8.  I will backup the config from sup7, once replaced with sup8, i then copy and paste to config to sup8.

Please suggest if you have better way to replace the sup card.

Hello @chong.eric ,

SSO stateful switchover can be used between supervisors of the same model and same IOS  / IOS XE version.

In your case you need to assume that you need to replace the Sup7 with the Sup8 and you need a maintenance window of 2 -4 hours.

The reason is that when you paste the config lines into the new Sup8 some commands may be not accepted or changed due to different IOS XE version and different Sup model.

Edit:

if you insert the Sup8 in slot 4 with the Sup7 in slot3 in active state the Sup8 will be likely stopped in ROMMON being a different sup model.

So the more safe approach is to insert the Sup8 alone in the chassis let it to boot completely, access it from the console port and to configure it.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

"if you insert the Sup8 in slot 4 with the Sup7 in slot3 in active state the Sup8 will be likely stopped in ROMMON being a different sup model."

It's been a long, long time since I dealt with a 4500 dual sup setup.

Again, I'm just wondering, if inserting the sup8 might result in the same results, and options, as if you inserted a sup7 but with a different IOS version.

I vaguely remember, when upgrading IOS on a dual sup, when you restarted one of the sups (the standby?) (using slot power options?), a like sup that was in hot standby would not rejoin as a hot standby.

Then, when the updated sup with the updated IOS seem to be fully powered, then you would do a forced switchover, which took much longer than a hot standby flip over.  When it became active on the newer IOS, you could then power cycle the prior sup and it would then become the new hot standby, running the same IOS.

Again, long time ago, so I may not have much of that right.  I do remember the 4500s being less complex for doing some upgrades than some changes on the 6500s as the former's line cards weren't as smart as the latter's.

I also vaguely recall, 4500 ISSU, tried to make dual sup IOS upgrades faster/better/easier and/or, especially reduce/eliminate downtime, although the early releases of ISSU, didn't always work correctly, and that's about the time I last had fist hand experience.  If ISSU is still supported, I would expect it to work pretty well at this point, but have no idea whether it could be used for changing sup versions (not IOS versions).

I believe I did some sup upgrades, from supV, or less, to sup7s, possibly some to sup6 or sup8 upgrades too.  But as @Flavio Miranda already mentioned, actual chassis being used was important, and the earlier supV or less, usually also required a chassis upgrade.  Unsure I ever did a sup6, or later, to a newer sup upgrade.

Again, an interesting question, but these different sups have other differences, they might make them totally incompatible in the same chassis.  I.e. not only might inserting a sup8 into an active sup7 chassis, have the sup8 stop in ROMMON, as Giuseppe thinks may happen, it might throw a major card fault and deactivate the slot.  I doubt any permanent damage might be done, but might not be any benefit, trying to insert a sup8 into a chassis with an active sup7.

Some of the sup8 documentation might, somewhere, describe what might, or might not, be done when moving between sup versions on a chassis capable for both.

Oh, if you had a maintenance contract, a perfect question for TAC.

First, if everything goes perfectly, I believe you might make the cut over in under an hour.  If all goes well, your, and Giuseppe's minimum, two hours is likely sufficient, but I would plan on Giuseppe's maximum four hours.

As for suggestions, if you have some form of external storage, e.g. USB stick, that can be used by both sups, copy sup7 config to it, boot up sup8, copy sup7 to running, do a compare between sup7 config and running, and fix issues.  Also have some test plans that your network is working as expected.

chong.eric
Level 1
Level 1
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card